Thread: Are the new i5 chip/cpu better or different than 2 years ago

Question Are the new i5 chip/cpu better or different than 2 years ago

Just curious

I have a late 2012 iMac with a 2.9GHz quad core i5...

...are the current i5's that are being sold in Mac Mini's, iMac's and such newer?, better?, faster? or are they the basic same chip or CPU as in my 2 yr old iMac?

Hey Randy,

Sorry for the delay on this one. Your 2012 iMac has an Ivy Bridge i5, whereas the 2014 Minis are using Haswell i5s. From what I've been gathering, single-core performance the Haswells will get you a wee bit more performance all else equal; they also consume less (think heat).

But your iMac i5 is quad-core, all the 2014 Minis, both the i5 and i7s are dual-core only*. So if you've got the software that can take advantage of those extra cores, then you 2 year old iMac will no doubt beat the new minis handily.

The new minis use the onboard Intel graphics, which are better supposed to be better than what was onboard the older Ivy Bridge.

*The previous 2012 and 2011 minis had quad-core i7 options. Since I managed to find right before Christmas a 2012 Mini servers (quad-core i7 with 2 1TB drives) discounted, I bought that rather than a new 2014 minis. I like to use the mini for RAW image processing and video rendering where the extra cores come in handy.

Default Thanks,

I just have not had the time in the last year to keep up with changes... I appreciate any insight.