Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mac mini boots to grey screen with circle with \ through it

Arrow Bad hard drive?

So with the hard drive disconnected it still hung about halfway through the boot process.

Did not get a flashing folder with ? it saw my boot partitions from my Burly. I'll give it one more try after I put SL 10.6 on a drive by itself.

I am assuming bad hard drive - acts like one. Ideas? I think my friend would buy new vs add new hard drive. What is cost and headaches of new drive.

ID the exact model if you can....HDs and SSDs are cheap, but good to do the math.

If upgrading, would need new drive, at least 4GB of RAM, and whatever OS he is happy with. Or, guess what it is worth as-is and apply to a new(er) machine.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

When were talking I think he's leaning towards a new one if it's more than a hard drive and maybe if it is. He was thinking of slapping a drive into the older one if cheap to do so and use it for a data backup and a computer backup.

Thumbs up Some progress

Well I put the mini into TDM this time connected to my old iMac a 2.66GHz core2duo and it looked much better. I could see his files.. b

I did try a verify disk and it said do repair so at this point I did. It hung saying fixing catalog B tree... not sure now.

A few pdf's that don't open seemed to come over. It was very slow and sluggish FW/older computer? or a bad drive/directory.

I'm installing 10.6.8 on a single drive my FW IcyDock for it to try and boot with his mac mini's cable is pulled... then I should know - if it's the drive it should boot. I keep thinking the C2D to C2D vintage technology and 10.6 was working better then my new 10.10 iMac.

He's going to buy the new 2.6GHz i5 Mac mini. He'll appreciate the step up.

Any last minute thoughts appreciated.

Any decent but free software to try and recover data? It's not a serious loss.

Lightbulb More progress

I don't think a c2d boots Yosemite... The mac mini in question just booted fine from a 10.6.8 install I just did on a drive in my FW IcyDock. Booted by holding the option key and selecting it and boot... It would not boot to my newer technology as I thought I recalled.

So it's got to be the hard drive.

He want's to toss a "cheapo hard drive" into it because he still plans to buy a new Mac mini. He just wants this to boot for emergency. No he won't setup a proper backup or use a better setup not even a half assed one. Why, I dunno.

Get the Seagate Hybrid drive, 1TB. I've been running one in a MBP for a year. Works great.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

He's going to buy the new 2.6GHz i5 Mac mini. He'll appreciate the step up.
    Really important to bear in mind with the new 2014 Minis that the RAM is soldered on the motherboard like the retina MacBook Pros. So make sure he has sufficient RAM from the get go, or if necessary do a build-to-order to get to at least 8GB. You can't add more later. 4GB really isn't enough.

Another change has to do with adding a second HD.

Good rundown here for the differences:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11...mini-reviewed/

Just throwing it out, if the 2014 improvements, e.g. wireless-ac, a 2d thunderbolt port, e.g. don't matter much (and the pros of the 2012 do, e.g. legacy FW port, user swappable RAM, adding two full size 2.5" HD, 4-core i7s), then might look a 2012 mini.

Really important to bear in mind with the new 2014 Minis that the RAM is soldered on the motherboard like the retina MacBook Pros.
    Eric, thanks for the reminder. I'd forgot about that. I am sure he';s getting 8GB RAM.

Default Good news...

I had 2 updates to positive posts from yesterday and don't recall the details now but...

We were working with his mini with the drive cable not connected... connected it

Booted the mini again into TDM with my C2D iMac and it seemed to work but things were slow and sluggish. - figured drive is bad

Long story short installed a brand new never used DiskWarrior and have it running from my iMac fixing mini's drive. it created a few extra ghost hard drives but stopped after DiskWarrior worked 5 minutes.

Here's DW screen shot. I've left many details out.

I'll let it run... might make the data more retrievable.

Arrow Dead

Well DiskWarrior came back with a report that sounded positive said it fixed a bunch of stuff and was repaired or okay I figured it would show as a FW drive again maybe more stable... so I just hit restart on my iMac figuring the mini TDM drive would show up as a FW drive - nope. Tried several things...

It dead.

Thanks, input appreciated. He'll enjoy a new mac mini and yes with 8GB RAM he said he might go 16 I doubt he needs it.
    Last edited by rwm; 01-01-2015 at 10:58 AM.

He's going to buy a new 2.6GHz i5 Mac Mini WITH 8 GB RAM

You see that "speed reduced....."? Every time I see that, I recover what I can and pitch the drive. My experience is that even if the number is low (less than 10), the drive is dying.

Put a new HD in it and you should be up and running again...or be ready to sell it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Thanks Unc,

His plan is buy new and put a new HD in the old c2d. I bet anything... he buys new a mac mini and lets the old c2d sit.

We'll see.

Seems to be what most folks do....and forget that all tech gear has a useful life clock ticking away, whether in use or not. Better to sell/trade in now, than set on shelf for 18 months and be worth just about nothing.

This has been your family-friendly daily Gurus PSA.