Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac mini boots to grey screen with circle with \ through it

Default Mac mini boots to grey screen with circle with \ through it

My neighbor/friend called me this morning and he has 2 Mac mini's a semi new, and 3 to 4 years old. Today the older one booted to a grey screen with the circle and a line through it. Similar to the no smoking signs and others like it...

I've never worked or on a mini... this has an optical drive and is an intel at least a 1.83 and I think it's a 2.4GHz. I believe SL 10.6 or actually it's probably 10.7.x as that was a freebie.

I'm off to research any suggestions apprecaited. I'm wanting to get his data off of it via a FW Drive I hope... do they boot into a TDM? He does not backup.

Well it boots into TDM. I had it hooked into my iMac it saw it but ended up slow., I rushed things. I saw my multiple Burly FW partitions and booted to one it's hung now... or slowly booting. naw

How the hell do you get the Mini hard drive to show on desk top. Or do you just use another finder window? to copy files.

It seems to work fine expect let me get files. I saw some once but folder had red line for no permission? I have his passwords.

Why are multiple drives showing up on my desktop ideas? see attached

I see a hard drive via TDM but can't see any files in the folders, I might try booting to 10.6 or .7 with the Burley again. I gave it plenty of time. Damn FW seems slow now.

Help, ideas, suggestions thanks...

When I look at any of the drives I get the same info see attachment. If it's reading right there are minimal files on the disk?? He said he had to force a quit or hard shutdown... and next boot is when the grey screen and problems started. Who knows what that meant but he means well.

When I use Disk Utility ... from my iMac and 10.10.1 if that makes a difference...

Here is what I get...

I feel it should work... in over my head.

Can my Mac read his - age, format? It should recognize a file - right?

I could probably boot to a 10.6 install disk if that opens any other ideas.

I bought DiskWarrior clear back when intel Mac's came out and never needed it. What harm could it do? I'll hold off now..

It kind of acts like a dead hard drive?

I've never seen anything like that. Not once.

No idea how it could report itself that way. Something is messed up.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I saw that once (also on an optical equipped mini) It turned out to be a bad ram stick. But before I discovered that it gave me varying symptoms that had me believing every piece of hardware in there was bad at some point or another. Definitely a learning experience for me...

I also saw something similar on a Powerbook when the person accidentally dropped several hundred files on the desktop.
    Damien,

Thumbs up Thanks

We'll mess with RAM now...

Can anyone point me to a take apart guide. Not even sure of specifics of it but about 3 to 4 years old, intel a 2.4GHz if I remember or not much bigger.

Appreciated..

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick,

Found a youtube... damn thats easy. Now a stick of proper RAM to test.

I'm still not 100 percent sure which one or model this is... I'll read the bottom or reopen and tell from the guts.

It might be as old as the core 2 duo... I thought it was newer. It looks like a 2009 maybe early 2010. Shipped with a 320GB hard drive optical drive but it just spits a CD/DVD out...

We'll just pull it apart and read the RAM stick. I'm assuming it's a 2GB and he should bump it to 4GB if it can.

I'll report back.

It's a core 2 duo 2.0GHz. It has 2 - 1GB RAM modules. I'm or we are going to try booting with each stick by itself to see if we can determine if or which RAM stick might be a bad one and creating the problem.

The RAM is PC3 8500 it looks.

First chip a no go...

If chip 2 is bad which direction do I head?

Second RAM Stick was a no go also... everything just boots to the grey screen with the round circle with line through it like stop, don't do this...

Oh, it flashes a folder with the question mark before it locks up. sooo That means it's looking for something to boot from? It saw and booted to my burley backup. But was slow, slow and then started freaking out when trying to work with his drive.

I think the drives fried? or somehow he lost a bunch of files.

Any last thoughts, ideas appreciated.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Don't assume that ram is bad, it could be but maybe not.

Anyway disconnect his hard drive and boot from your Burly and see if it does any better.
    Damien,

Anyway disconnect his hard drive and boot from your Burly and see if it does any better.
    Nice thought.

Default Okay

Well I connected the Burly to Mac Mini and it got to the progress bar of boot up but never booted. damn My Burly's all 10.10 and were formatted with my new iMac.

I'm going to format and install a clean version on SL 10.6 on my single drive IcyDock using my core2duo iMac it's the same technology as the mini. The Burly has 2 drives and 5-6 partitions between them. The Burly drives were formatted with my new iMac different technology.

Should make no difference. I'm going to give it a try... then I'll have a clean bootable drive.

Oh...

So it should of booted but did not... next? a mobo part, drive. I really think he's buying a new one -- we were talking the pro/cons of tweaking his.

I am curious what it might be?

how does the HD mount outside of the Mini......not booting to it? Could just be a bad HD.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin