Thread: Mac mini boots to grey screen with circle with \ through it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mac mini boots to grey screen with circle with \ through it

My neighbor/friend called me this morning and he has 2 Mac mini's a semi new, and 3 to 4 years old. Today the older one booted to a grey screen with the circle and a line through it. Similar to the no smoking signs and others like it...

I've never worked or on a mini... this has an optical drive and is an intel at least a 1.83 and I think it's a 2.4GHz. I believe SL 10.6 or actually it's probably 10.7.x as that was a freebie.

I'm off to research any suggestions apprecaited. I'm wanting to get his data off of it via a FW Drive I hope... do they boot into a TDM? He does not backup.

Well it boots into TDM. I had it hooked into my iMac it saw it but ended up slow., I rushed things. I saw my multiple Burly FW partitions and booted to one it's hung now... or slowly booting. naw

How the hell do you get the Mini hard drive to show on desk top. Or do you just use another finder window? to copy files.

It seems to work fine expect let me get files. I saw some once but folder had red line for no permission? I have his passwords.

Why are multiple drives showing up on my desktop ideas? see attached

I see a hard drive via TDM but can't see any files in the folders, I might try booting to 10.6 or .7 with the Burley again. I gave it plenty of time. Damn FW seems slow now.

Help, ideas, suggestions thanks...

When I look at any of the drives I get the same info see attachment. If it's reading right there are minimal files on the disk?? He said he had to force a quit or hard shutdown... and next boot is when the grey screen and problems started. Who knows what that meant but he means well.

When I use Disk Utility ... from my iMac and 10.10.1 if that makes a difference...

Here is what I get...

I feel it should work... in over my head.

Can my Mac read his - age, format? It should recognize a file - right?

I could probably boot to a 10.6 install disk if that opens any other ideas.

I bought DiskWarrior clear back when intel Mac's came out and never needed it. What harm could it do? I'll hold off now..

It kind of acts like a dead hard drive?