Thread: Safari 6.1.6

Angry Safari 6.1.6

My wife's MacBook Air OS 10.7.5 google search overrides the homepage. Change the default search engine to Yahoo, then Bing. Do any search with any of the search engines and the homepage is replaced with google search. I downloaded "Adblock" and entered the google as a blocked address. Google search replaced homepage in safari preferences. Also, the homepage changes, there's a pop up for MacKeeper. I reset safari, emptied cache, and restarted the MacBook Air. All seemed ok; safari loaded to correct homepage. NOT OK. Next time she opened safari google search was back. Tried several blog suggestions; issue is unresolved.
    Suggestions welcome.

Default My stays the same

I'm not sure seems strange but then I usually use Google.

There are newer Safari's out there... not sure it'd help but can'y hurt. Some security updates...

Smile Problem solved

Read a blog about an adware called only-search.com that takes over browser settings. While on the the MacBook Air view the source; what I was reading as Google Search was actually the only-search.com web site. Searched google: How to remove only-search.com from a mac? Found an application called Adwardmedic and downloaded it. Installed and ran the application scan for adware. Only-search.com was NOT the only adware on the Air. Opened Safari changed home page to "Preferred". Next I went to history, now don't do this, I control clicked on the only-search.com to delete it; It reinstalled. I ran adwaremedic again. Opened Safari, changed the homepage back. I then cleared history and emptied cache. So far no more preference changes in Safari.

Thanks RWM. Your post got me to thinking: Did that really say Google since I use it on both my MacBook and my iMac and the past loading does not look anything like I have seen on Google. Thanks.

(Adwaremedic is donationware so after it worked I donated.)

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thumbs up Good job

Nice job finding that.

That's smart! Thanks for the post.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin