Thread: What Did I do?

Default What Did I do?

So the iMac has been sputtering some lately. Safari mostly. Web pages will take too long to load. Sometimes I just get a blank screen, it just happened logging in to this site.

So I decided that I would just do a combo update to 10.8.5. Now in the past that would fix most problems. Oh that was the beginning of today's headache. I downloaded it and set it into action. All went well until the final restart. It would go to a screen that said that it needed to restart and just end up there again, and again. I finally just reinstalled the OS and it did get the iMac working again. I found that all kind of weird. So a tried and true method of repairing the OS doesn't seem to work any longer.

But why are the web pages taking so long to reload? I rebooted the router, which made no difference. After using DU I get loads of permissions needing repair after the new install and not even using the iMac all day. And then there's one that stands out:

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Do I just delete it? Some days are better than other, this hasn't been one of those good days. Ideas anyone?

Well, at least Apple says you can safely ignore that Repair Disk Permissions issue.

'Fraid I don't know a lot about how and what gets repaired or doesn't, I never repair permissions. Never have. So not used to what works and what doesn't.

Seems like a fresh reinstall should fix most anything. I have found the Combo updaters resolving fewer and fewer problems the last several years. Most common failures for me have been updaters messing up my system. With backups I don't usually need to reinstall fresh, but now and then that is the result.

Wonder if you have some bad ram or a drive giving you hardware problems.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I got tired of reinstalling Safari and it's associated files only to have a few months later have it start failing again

I am using Chrome now and happy so far
    Damien,

Well it looks like I will be staying away from all combo updates. The reinstall helped sort of. I did the Apple hardware check, the long version, and it says nada. This morning I updated all the software ( you would think the reinstall would have all the latest Mac OS stuff built in it, but noooo ) and that seems to have brought everything back to functioning and no slow downs ect. I guess that's taken care of.

Now I need to phone you Rick and get the parts and some HDs

Oh boy I got my new hard drives and my JM210 to convert the Burly to FW800. But I'm not sure the JM210 will fit in this Burly. Any hints?

Pull the screws from the back end of the power supply, slide it a half inch forward. Then assemble the JM210 with power and data cables so it can be installed upside down. Install the board. Slide the power supply back into place and screw it into place with the one screw you can get to. It will work fine that way.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well I almost had it figured out. I just didn't get the turning the card upside-down.

Does the JM210 need to be powered? I presumed it did, as the power cable did come with it.

Thanks Rick

Yup, gotta be powered.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick! Starting the backup and then, here we come 10.10!

Into the modern age

Yosemite is now loaded, yippee! Well I'm not that excited. Mostly it seems like there's all this new stuff to learn. (as he goes kicking and screaming into the future)

They changed iTunes around again so if you use that prepare to be hunting for settings and controls
    Damien,

Good Grief iTunes was all screwed up in the beginning. It wouldn't stop loading, I'd quit and it was still there again. Then the volume was stuck at 0, turn up the volume and it moves back to 0 again. Arrrrrggghh. I the restarted the iMac, with fingers crossed. Whole thing got stuck very early in the restart. So I forced quit in complete disgust. Fuming I restarted it and it seems everything is playing nicely.

I think all the years of fine tuning were tossed with the new OS. Settings for much were changed back to default. Of course remembering all those things one does is near impossible to recall now.

I'll adjust, I have to. It could have been worse. Nothing a few years of psychoanalysis couldn't fix. I'll call tomorrow.

Every major iTunes update has been all rearranged out of pure spite I think.

Also there is a 10.10.1 update you probably have it but ought to make sure I suppose
    Damien,

Oh yea, all up to date. Just need some fine tuning, which should be all complete just in time for the next versions roll out.