Thread: Interface CRC Error - Is this a problem?

Thumbs up Interface CRC Error - Is this a problem?

MacGurus,

Greetings everyone!

I have a PM G5 2.3Ghz-DP that is possible eating HD's. I'm using Toshiba DT01ACA100 (1TB) and DT01ACA200 (2TB). This is my third HD that says "Interface CRC Error" (WRITE DMA EXT) using Smart Utility 3.1.1.

I'm using all PPC apps running OS-X 10.5.8. The CRC Error Count is 990. And the drives are all under 30 days old from microcenter in Cambridge, MA. I usually check the Smart status each week. The errors just show up all of a sudden. Swapped cables, HD's and same thing. Smart Utility says the drive is FAILING!

Disk Utility 11.1 and Smart Reporter 2.72 both pass the HD's.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Screen Grab attached.

Thank you all...

Keep up the awesome mac solutions.

donsonic

Do the drives keep working or dead I'm assuming? Can you try another testing software? I assume you've tried a Disk Utility check? There are/can be meaningless or many error messages in new or 3rd party software. Not meaningless but not harmful. The bugs usually work themselves out but this has to do with your data storage... Back your data up just in case.

It's been a while since I've added a drive.

What or how are you formatting the drives. Which OSX 10. what .x

I see you did check DU. If it's running good then darn what the heck... Which OSX does drive have updater, pins, etc. just thinking out loud here.

A few others should be by and should know better.

Thumbs up Drive Status...

One drive does not BOOT, the other two working. But, I'm suspicious because these drives have a tendency to be FRAGILE. The one that doesn't Boot had high Interface CRC Errors. I think I'll get better drives. These are the bottom of the barrel Toshibas. Using OS-X 10.5.8. Drives are backed up.

Looking forward to other member recommendations.

Thank You!

donsonic

I love Seagate myself might not be fastest but darn good drives. For years it seems. If Rick stops by he can update us both on drive technology. My iMac has a 1TB Fusion drive 128GB of SSD I have been happy with it not positive on the brand system profiler says Apple. This is a Late 2012 model.

Thumbs up Reply to RWM...

Thanks for your reply...

I used to use the Seagates until they started to fail on me. I have TWO other Hitatchi's before WD and they both have over 20,000+ power on hours with NO PROBLEMS! Luckily one Hitachi 1TB HD stopped booting, bought three and they're all FAILING. Bad batch of drives I feel. The two older ones with over 20k hours pass the Smart test... The three new ones don't! Tried everything. Again, I'm being cautious because one of the three with Interface CRC Errors stopped Booting OS-X 10.5.8.

Formatted HD's with Apple Disk Utility.

donsonic

A bad bunch of drives can happen. Should not happen... but feel it does or the parts/assembly push the acceptable tolerances.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Seagate is always my choice... and yeah I have had a bad one here and there but overall they have been far more reliable than any other brand for me
    Damien,