Thread: Sonnet echo pro e34?

Default Sonnet echo pro e34?

Wondering what to expect for performance.

Right now I have a 2008 macbook pro attached to a burly with an express34 card, the lycom.

Four disks are back up for photos, etc. I use one disk for photoshop scratch.

I'm pretty happy with the speed of things. Of course faster would be better.

In the next two weeks or so I'm planning on ordering apple's macbook pro, their top of line model ; i7 2.3ghz, 16gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching, 512gb ssd, etc...

i think this computer will be fine for photoshop, lightroom, indesign work, and wanted to attach my burly via this sonnet box and the card, the Sonnet tempo 2 to the computers thunderbolt port...

what kind of speed can i expect? I'm not sure what I'm getting now with my old computer and the burly. The echo pro page says 200mbs for the thunderbolt connection. Is that faster than what my burly/esata/old macbook pro is giving me?

Oh, my burly is jbod, no raid. I use CCC to clone backups.

Thanks,
    M

ps. not sure this is the place to ask, but I was wondering if it's possible to put an ssd drive in my Burly to use as a scratch disk for photoshop. Right now I'm using a seagate 1tb drive, 7200rpm...thought I might get better photoshop performance with the faster scratch disk.
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

The Sonnet eSATA Pro card is twice as fast as the Silicon Image 3132 card - about 200 MB/sec. The Thunderbolt connection is a faster as is the SOnnet Echo adapter, so the card becomes the slowest component. Fastest desktop drives today are Seagate at around 180-190 MB/sec. So in JBOD the drives will be near twice as fast on the Echo+SATA Pro card as they are now.

An SSD in that particular configuration would be only 10% faster than an empty spinning drive. Need a simpler and faster Thunderbolt connected drive to make the SSD worth doing - Like a Datatale.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ok. Thanks Rick. I'll probably be ordering the box and card, maybe cable too, in mid July. Need to make sure of my computer plan and then get the peripherals I need.
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter