Thread: Lycom esata card, mavericks and Radeon AT 5870

Default Lycom esata card, mavericks and Radeon AT 5870

I recently suffered from a fairly major crash on my early 2009 Mac Pro 5500. The back board, the processor board and the video card were all replaced. The video card was upgraded to the Radeon 5870. It took several attempts to get it stable but now everything seems to be working properly.
    I'm using a Lycom 4 Port PCIe SATAII Host Card to connect my Burly 4 bay enclosure. After the rebuild and upgrade to new 5870 video card, the Lycom PCIe card is not recognized. I downloaded and installed the Silicone Image driver(SiI3124_2.1.4.0) and installed but with no results.
    Is this the correct driver and am I doing this correctly? Any insight and instruction is super appreciated.

Chris

Sounds right. I used that graphics and that Lycom card for along while. Might reseat the Lycom board or even move it to a different slot and try again. Should be fine anywhere though.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick
    I reseated the card in the two middle slots with no positive results. The upper slot doesn't provide enough room with the 4th bay drive inserted.

Does that lead to the card being bad? Any other things to try?

Chris

The card will actually fit fine in the top slot. Just looks like it won't. Slot 3 is perfect though, so no reason to move it.

You cannot assume the card is bad unless you prove that by virtue of testing other external storage and cabling. Make sure you test your Burly with just one of the drives at a time. All it takes is one bad drive to take the whole chain down. And keep Disk Utility open while you do the drive tests.

You should be able to see the card and driver loaded in Apple System Report. To get there go under the Apple - About This Mac - More Info - then hit the System Report tab at the bottom.

You can select PCI cards and should see one that says '1095,3124'. That is the SATA card. When selected it should state driver installed - Yes.

Then in Extensions, down lower, you should see SiliconImage3124U.kext and it should show version 2.1.4.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hi Rick
    That is actually the issue. The card does not appear in the system profiler. Under PCI, the only thing that shows is my ATI Radeon 5870 video card.

I looked at extensions and the SiliconImage3124u V2.1.4 shows up but it is not loaded. Are there instructions on how to load it? I thought I had loaded it when I installed it, but apparently not.

Thanks
    Chris

If it won't show in that list, even after moving the card to a different slot, then most likely deader n a door knob.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

That's kind of what I figured. Any thoughts where I can find a replacement. I feel like I'm looking for a window crank for a 1982 F-150.

Just run the Newertech card. It is compatible in all MacPros and will cost less than the older SATAII Lycom card. Your drives will mount up just the same.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin