Thread: video card enhancement?

Default video card enhancement?

I have early 2009 (Nahelem?) Mac 2x2.26 quad core xeon
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

Since I am not sold on the cylinder Mac, I'd like to enhance this set up.
    Would bumping up the graphics card be the best bang for the buck right now?
    I use everything adobe. Are there known preferred cards? I'd also like TWO DVI slots on a card instead of one DVI + analogue slot.

Any advice, thank you.

Great place to go. I miss my MacPro 5,1 with its AMD 5870 graphics card. It was awesome.

Not sure what the best choice is today. I thought AMD had a competitive model out, but I can't find it. The nVidea is pretty pricey. Both beat the heck out of the 5870 I sold last year.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

a great place to go is video card upgrade?
    i guess you are on the cylinder mac? Waddya think?
    I hope my 4,1 has sufficient enough life left.
    Ever heard the general life expectancy?
    I work it good most every day.
    Thanks Rick

I had to get the new Cylinder for testing. It is a fine machine. But for 90% of what I do in Mac OS it is no faster than my 2010 was. Best part of the 2010 was the 5870, killer card. Newer nVidea is even better.

I don't expect most MacPros to die in 10 years hard use. Apple did an extraordinary job making a workhorse. I'd bet somewhere around 80% of them still work fine after 10 years.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin