Thread: Address Book woes

Default Address Book woes

My 2007 Mini's hard drive just threw a shoe (it takes an hour of spinning to mount, but I can't actually OPEN anything). I was running 10.6.

I bought an even OLDER Mini for cheap, and it's running OS 10.8. My stuff is backed up on an external drive. So far, so good.

The hitch: no Address Book. Not only is there no "Address Book" application, it won't even RUN in 10.8. The NEW app, "Contacts" does not recognize the Address Book file.

I opened and saved the file as text, then tried to import it with Contacts - no go.

I'd love to get the 300+ names, phone numbers, addresses and emails out of that file somehow... any thoughts?

Oh, and THANKS, APPLE.

It should work... I've used my Contacts for ever and with each OSX update and I'm running 10.9.3 now.

It could be on a bad or corrupted section of the hard drive. Any chance to run DiskWarrior or such...it might be a long shot.

The key data file should open and work... unfortunately I'm not sure where that is.

Here is a good write up.....check it out and report back. All about the format.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

rwm: can you give me any idea WHAT exactly "should work"?

If you don't remember explicitly converting your "Address Book" data to a "Contacts" file, then I'm guessing the update process did it for you automatically when you moved from 10.7 to 10.8. I didn't update - I bought a new Mac, thus skipping right from 10.6 to 10.8. Now what?

uncle: thanks, but every single one of those solutions starts with "1) Launch Address Book". My backup of both the application and data (I'm assuming it's Library/Application Support/AddressBook.data) is on a perfectly good external drive... but when I try to launch it I get "You cannot run this version of the application "Address Book" on this version of OS X."

Address Book is no longer supported as of 10.8.

It would be stupid if there were NO WAY to do this... but stupid things DO happen.

If I am not mistaken, Apple changed to Contacts from Address Book to put you on the iCloud. I hated that enough at the time that I never ever let a computer turn iCloud on again, mainly because it takes your address book and calendar and whatnot and puts it up on the cloud servers instead of on your own computer. yeah yeah yeah, then you can use it on all your iPhone, iCondom and iPad, but it ain’t your data any longer. Pissed me off.

Anyway, point being that it has been a couple years and I forgot what it was I had to do to get the database again recognized on the local directory instead of up on Apple’s servers.

It may also be possible to copy your backup to another drive and then boot Mini back into Snow Leopard and upgrade to Mtn Lion. Said process should run the converter to update the old Address Book database to new Contacts Database.

I don’t know how many computers I have taken from Snow Leopard to Mtn Lion and or Mavericks in one step. Just did one last week, our server got moved to a newer computer and it went flawlessly as an upgrade skipping over a couple OS revisions.

I gotta go do some looking, see if I can remember why and how that iCloud BS disappeared my Address Book way back when…… if you did enter your Apple ID during the first startup, and then said: ‘why sure, let me look at iCloud’, then your computer thinks your address book is on Apple’s servers now.

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Apple changed to Contacts from Address Book to put you on the iCloud...
    That makes sense with what I am reading about it, and I feel the same way you do. Just let me keep my private stuff private!

It may also be possible to copy your backup to another drive and then boot Mini back into Snow Leopard and upgrade to Mtn Lion. Said process should run the converter to update the old Address Book database to new Contacts Database.
    This may be my best hope. I can install 10.6 (why do I have to remember animal names? Numbers are ORDERED FFS) on an external volume and then update it to 10.8. Hopefully things will get straightened out... although I've read a lot of angry posts about THAT not going smoothly.

if you did enter your Apple ID during the first startup, and then said: ‘why sure, let me look at iCloud’, then your computer thinks your address book is on Apple’s servers now.
    I've certainly never USED iCloud, and I don't recall typing in an Apple ID at first... but of course iTunes wouldn't play my music until I did, so it's in there now.

Thanks Rick!

Mine were all updated at each OS upgrade and yes mine went smooth - migration assistant. I'm surprised yours won't work. I dunno.

This is becoming increasingly more problematic with each OS update. If you do it the Apple way it usually works (but not always). If you do it the old school way you are increasingly screwed, and end up spending large amounts of time trying to find a workaround.

The rise of "smart" phones, and iOS is becoming a serious thorn in the side of those of us who only use Apple computers. If you doubt that just watch the latest WWDC.

You might check out this link,

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If I am not mistaken, Apple changed to Contacts from Address Book to put you on the iCloud. I hated that enough at the time that I never ever let a computer turn iCloud on again, mainly because it takes your address book and calendar and whatnot and puts it up on the cloud servers instead of on your own computer. yeah yeah yeah, then you can use it on all your iPhone, iCondom and iPad, but it ain’t your data any longer. Pissed me off.
    You really are only a couple steps away from generating your own power and recycling your own... err well ... recyclables aren't you?
    Damien,

iCloud aside....the biggest issue here that the contents of Address Book is a database file, and they are never easy to open without the exact tool that created them. In this case SQLite.

I don't have the OSes needed handy to test, but I expect one would need to do something like this to get to a CSV that can be imported, or is human readable.

We can gnash our teeth all we want, but everything is moving to database format. And the only easy way to convert any database file will be with the tools designed to do it. In this case, that means migrating OSes. Similar for other files too, such as calendars and email.

If there is a need, often someone will build a tool to help.....this looks promising.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I really do appreciate all the advice... unfortunately, all the suggestions I've read so far involve launching Address Book at some point. If I could do that, I wouldn't have a problem. 10.8 simply won't run it.

The most recent install DVD I possess is 10.4 from 2005. It won't run on my current Mac Mini.

I know one other person in my county who uses Macs; I borrowed a 10.6 install DVD. It's for a PowerBook, and won't work on the Mini.

Thanks again, Apple.

The only thing I can think to do now is BUY a 10.6 full install DVD on eBay. I'll have to spend $20, wait two weeks, and then spend more hours installing old software, just for the CHANCE of HOPEFULLY migrating my stuff. Ah, well.

Arrow A Bummer

I'm sorry it still seems nuts. I'd really miss my contacts, addresses, notes, email, cel and home phone numbers... all my family and friends.

I use it daily.

Yes, I am REALLY missing it. I can't email anyone until/unless they email me first.

I took a shot and spent $0.99 on AB2CSV - didn't work. It says "nothing to export". Apparently Address Book has to be installed in order for the data file to be visible to it... there is no way to select it or point that app at it.

Nice try, though, uncle. I honestly thought it would work too!

I'm going to be out of town for the next week, so I'm just going to buy a 10.6 install DVD, forget my troubles for a while, and work on it when I get back.

Hmmm......are you sure you have your actual address book file? From your user directory?

You should be able to open it with the converter tool, and then export a CSV file.

All I can say is that I have a backup of my Application Support folder which contains an "Address Book" folder. In it are the following:

ABPerson.skIndex
    ABPerson.skIndexInverted
    AddressBook-v22.abcddb
    AddressBook.data
    AddressBook.data.beforesave
    AddressBook.data.previous
    Images
    LastImport.plist
    MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
    Metadata

I opened "AddressBook.data" with TextEdit, just to make sure my data is there, and it is (mixed in with a million formatting characters).

I copied this folder and put it in the active Library folder; "nothing to export". I tried putting it in Users/me/; "nothing to export". Obviously the converter app is not seeing it... I don't know why. There is no info in the app about where it looks, nor is there any way to TELL it anything.

The old Mac (10.6) had multiple user profiles, so the Application Support folder was at HD/Users/me/Library/App Supp; the new Mac (10.8) has only one user at the moment. There is a Users folder with just "me" and "Shared", but the Application Support folder is in HD/Library, not Users. I tried it both places. Thoughts?

You might try to open AddressBook-v22.abcddb with the AB2CSV software. That should be the full DB file.....

If still no luck, there are others. This looks promising. You might email their support and specifically ask if the software can export from the Address Book backups vs. from a running Application to be sure it is the right tool.

The AB2CSV app doesn't let you choose what to open. The entirety of its user interface consists of a few prefs about groups and fields, and one small button; I push it, and it says "nothing to export".

I'll keep trying when I have time and patience.