Thread: ... G4 MDD looking for a new monitor...

Question ... G4 MDD looking for a new monitor...

Have not been in touch in a few years .... hope things are going well for every one!
    My two MDD have been chugging right-along, but having monitor problems.

Saturday morning ... was running as usual.
    Had to run some errands .... shut-down MDD which also shut-downs the NEC monitor.
    Six hours later booted the mac which also boots the monitor.
    Only this time "no monitor".

Booted another MDD to the same monitor .... same thing. There-4, I'm assuming the monitor is dead.
    No sense in trying or having it looked at..... about 4 or 5 years old .... running almost straight 24/7.
    Cheaper to "buy new".
    Rather spend money on a new one ..... but haven't looked at any in years.
    Would one of you "kind souls" have some " idea models" that would work well with MDD?

thanks, h

Really just about anything will work. You should have both VGA and DVI.

Samsung and LG actually make panels that others buy, have had good luck with them. Another less known brand that builds panels for others, but sell direct too is: Asus.

Only thing you should consider really is what is the max resolution your graphics card can handle, and hopefully you can find monitor that will play nice. According to this, you can go pretty big.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I sometimes set up my office in the apartment over the town's ambulance barn when taking shifts as a volunteer EMT. I bought a cheap LCD monitor. Was a little worried that it would be junk, but I am impressed with its color and so far, its reliability. It's a 23 inch Viewsonic I got off amazon for under $160 delivered. Has worked flawlessly for a year now. You do not have to spend a bunch to get decent.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Talking

Thanks speed heads!
    I say that because you guys have the lighting fast macs.
    I can't afford a new box, because all the many apps .... I've boughten for OS X.4.11.
    Slow.... but reliable.

1. Question .... I remember installing a more powerful video card than the "Radeon 9000 pro".... which gives 1920 x 1200 res.
    Would have to check the card that I'm using before buying new monitor.
    The NEC is 21.5" or 22".

2. Another question is .... if I happen to buy a 24" or larger do you think it would be ok or would the mac desktop be smaller ... all around the inside monitors edge ... like an inch or so?
    Hope this is clear enough too understand.

How is that configured out ... any hooo?

I like Samsung and LGs and think that Asus has a good reputation ... but I don't know "Chit"
    I'll check some retail sites ... then get back.

Will get back, h

It's best to run at the display's native resolution so it comes down to what your GPU is capable of.

My 2011 Mini drives my 50" plasma TV via HDMI without issues. My G4 is still on the 21.5" ViewSonic that I bought at Costco like 6 years ago or something.

Cool

thanks M.Brane, what you said about the card res. could be why my NEC funked out on me.
    I'll be buying something new .... the NEC also has a VGA input. I'm going to put the 9000 pro
    back in the MDD first .... might work, maybe not.
    Doesn't matter .... I'm going to buy one anyhow.

If the NEC will kind of work .... I'll use that with my old "G4 Digital Audio " box which I souped-up years ago.

Ill get back, thanks

PS. you still using your PT 001? .... I am.

h

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post

PS. you still using your PT 001? .... I am.

h
    No I traded it for a Delta 1010, and M-Powered 7 some years ago. The guy I traded with is still using it though. Rock solid system.

Just look at native resolution (99% of the time max resolution) and if your card can drive it, you are good. No banding or anything else, will fill the screen and look glorious. I would guess that you can drive most 23" monitor with no issues.....maybe as large as 24+.

All about the pixels though, not screen size. My 2010 Mini drives a 42" HDMI TV great.....but that is only 1920x1080 (pixels). I say only cause that ain't a huge amount compared to a high end monitor.

Something like this if you want big.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default unclemac

I have been looking, resourcing and more looking .. every chance when I have the time.
    I'm really sick and tired of looking and no doubt need a bottle of "bug juice".

I have mainly been on the ASUS web sight. Must have been at the end of all their last year models. Went through every model comparing their specifications ... found a couple that will work after about sixteen hours total. The next day, they had removed them and put up the new models.

Now I'm right back at square-one.
    Wish I had read your post earlier, but had Dialysis complications for a few days.
    Put in a lot of "bed time".

Back on track today.

Think a 26" Asus would work if the maximum res is ... like you say "1920 x 1200" ?
    Which quite a few would be covered.

Think I've read too many reviews

I'll be back, thanks

Based on the video card you think you have, should be good.

Thumbs up

Thanks unclemac ... still looking ... will be back.

h

Talking

Well, I basically got tired of looking and purchased a NEC MultiSync EA244WMi.
    Kinda of what I had before .... but bigger and better hopefully.

At least this one doesn't have any 1,2 or 3 negative feedback.
    Probably not fast enough for action games. I don't play games.
    Will be great for graphics and photos.

Most monitors that had better specs. looked too me as if they where in the popular tv show from years ago "The Jetsons".

If I could have used a wall mount I would of chose differently ... but living in this apartment, thats not going to happen.

Was more money than I wanted to spend, but is a little bigger and has a little better response time and brightness.

We'll see!

thanks for all your help, h

Good deal. Hope she is a beaut!