Thread: DataTale

Default DataTale

Wondering how this tb enclosure keeps all the hd's cool. Haven't done any research yet on tb enclosures.

Was thinking this might replace my burly when i upgrade my old mbp.

The point on your page here about how quiet it is makes it tempting.

Do wish it held five drives so i could set it up like the burly.

Ok. Thanks.
    Morris
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Couple fans on the bottom. It does a pretty good job on temperatures. I had one set up with my boot drive in it and drive temps at the central hub area stayed well under 115ƒ. I measure this with an infrared heat ‘gun’.

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Couple fans on the bottom. It does a pretty good job on temperatures. I had one set up with my boot drive in it and drive temps at the central hub area stayed well under 115. I measure this with an infrared heat gun.
    Never saw this graphic. Thanks Rick.
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Thumbs up DataTale is quiet!!!

Hi momo,

Thought I would comment here. I have been using the DataTale for about 7 months and really like it! My configuration is 2 x 8TB Raid 0 volumes, one backing up to the other.

About the noise level: I suffer from migraines and sound/noise is not my friend. One of the many reasons I bought the DataTale is due to the fact that Rick made note of its quiet operation. Because I'm extra sensitive to sound/noise, I believe I am a good person to give my opinion on the DataTale's noise output.

My desk real-estate is limited and the DataTale sits 3' from where I sit. It is practically silent and for that reason I absolutely adore it. I have never had to shut it down due to the DataTale's noise "bothering my head". I have owned a 4 bay Burly for a few years now and have had to shut the Burly down due to the noise bothering me. As you know, the Burly is not that loud.

The DataTale emits a slight "tinkling, or waterfall sound" on occasion: I don't know what it is, but it is a pleasant sound, is quiet and I - personally - like it.

From an aesthetic point of view, the DataTale's design is gorgeous! At the moment, the DataTale is sitting next to my rMBP and to see them side by side, you can see the thought that was put into the DataTale's design.

All in all, a super system and I highly recommend it.

Cheers!
    MsNikon

Default thanks msnikon

good to know...for right now gonna stick with the burly and sonnet pro tb adapter plus tempo sata pro card i just ordered from rick. but think the datatale will be my eventual update to the burly unless something else comes along...
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Default One more question about connectivity...

Would like to attach this enclosure or the akitio to a recent mac laptop with thunderbolt ports. Finally gonna buy a new macbook pro end of May, beginning of June.

A few months back I bought the Sonnet Echo expresscard pro thunderbolt adapter. This so I could attach my burly to the laptop directly. I'm wondering if I could attach this to the datatale or akitio enclosure since they have two ports. Would that work.

So it would be laptop > datatale enclosure > burly (via the tb adapter).

I'm thinking this would work speed wise because even now the burly is back up and fast enough. I'd gain some speed connecting my computer to the datatale for my photo library and post process work with lightroom and photoshop. Use the burly as back up for the datatale.

Is this a plan?

Thanks.
    M
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

That will work fine. The drives are still mechanically slower than the total connection speed, even with more drives attached. So all of them will get full bandwidth.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    That will work fine. The drives are still mechanically slower than the total connection speed, even with more drives attached. So all of them will get full bandwidth.

Rick
    Ok, thanks Rick. I'll probably put in the order end of May before leaving and have you ship to my parents home in Florida when I'll be there visiting.

Just need to make up my mind about what I want, need for work, and the weight, how much I can carry back in the suitcase.

kind regards
    M
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

momo:

FYI...

The CalDigit TS2 Thunderbolt 2 dock will also service the Burly eSATA Port Multiplier enclosure. I've tested it and can be an alternative to the Sonnect setup that requires software driver. The CalDigit dock does not need additional software driver to be installed making it a simpler solution. The CalDigit dock also has other ports; 2x eSATA, 1Gbe Ethernet, 2nd TB port, 3x USB3/2 and HDMI. The front USB3 will power/charge iOS devices even when computer powered off.

I have both the Sonnet setup and the CalDigit TS2 and use the Sonnet setup currently to operate my 5-bay Burly. The CalDigit is a backup if nothing else.

I'm running MacPro6,1 12core and a 6core in the office.

I'm also refurbishing my Burly per Rick's advice. Will remove the five LCD bay/tray combos that each have small fans and the two rear 80mm fans. I will then install the fan-less bays-only for bare 4TB SATA HDs and add two Stealthy 80mm fans in the rear. This I hope will quiet down the Burly as I want it running 24/7 for back ups.