Thread: Partitioning a hard drive...

Default Partitioning a hard drive...

I have a 250 GB external FireWired hard drive that I am using as storage of files, e.g. my iTunes Library, Installer's etc. This drive is not used by/for time machine.

At this time there is about 220 GB free space.

Can I partition the drive at this point of time into two partitions with the OS partition having about 20 GB of space to allow the installation of the Mac OS X (SnowLeopard 10.6 ) ?

What and how should i do this ???
    Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings
    http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Partitioning the drive will require erasing all the data on it.

Now there may be another way to do this, but what I have used in the past was Diskgenius. Check it out. If you need an older version you might ask the nice people there.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    Now there may be another way to do this, but what I have used in the past was Diskgenius. Check it out. If you need an older version you might ask the nice people there.

Thanks for the bang to the side of head.

I've got iPartition and will try to figure out how it really works because i've never used that application. Not sure today why i even bought it in the first place. Perhaps it was a package deal.

Stand by for the screams of OH NO what have I done.

Partitioning the drive will require erasing all the data on it.
    It will but yes they've created applications that can. I've never used, read about or tested any.

In the newer versions of Disk Utility you can resize a drive or partirions also it's worked good a few times for me.

I'll get that graphics card dug out of an old box here too and into the mail for you.

rwm,

No rush on the graphics card unless you can get it out tomorrow.

hummmm, never even thought about using Apple's Disk Utility.

Incidentally, I realize thati could copy the data on that drive to another drive and then use Disk Utility to erase/partition because there is not that much data on there now. It's only that I would like to learn how to partition a disk that has data on it without erasing it first. It is doable because that's how TechToolPro does it on the fly when you want their eDrive installed on a disk that already has an OS.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post

In the newer versions of Disk Utility you can resize a drive or partirions also it's worked good a few times for me.
    Please help MR Magoo: he can't see how using Maverick version of Disk Utility.

It seems you can only partition if you erase the entire hard drive which is not what we want done.

Here you go.

By the way, do you still have any beer left? I would like some please. It looks so good, I can almost taste it! I want some...I do!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It seems you can only partition if you erase the entire hard drive which is not what we want done.
    You are restricted to only playing with your empty space not your OS/Data. Example if you have a 500GB Drive and no partitions but 230GB worth of OS/Data on it...

You can't make a partition smaller than 230GB I'd leave room make it 250GB or more. You now have 250GB to work with and you can break that remaining space up into 100GB chunks if you'd like. You can see the space your OS/Data use in DU it's shaded a bluish on my version 10.9.3.

You just have to try/test it - learn how it works. Areas will be formatted to create directories and such organization the computer needs. I'm no expert and have not done this often.

All is OK.

Figured it out using Disk Utility. It was not as difficult to do as I thought it would be. Anyways, it's done and works great for what I want to use this this FireWire drive as mobile drive when I want to share files with my musician friends by letting them use the drive in their home system.