Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cuda

I would not even mess with SCSI. First it's more expensive per GB of storage. ATA/SATA have worked really good. Second, it's going to be dog slow on your 8500 SCSI Bus or ribbon.

I think you can use a bigger, faster SATA drive on your ATA PCI Card.

You also have FW on a PCI Card. Some one will correct me here if I'm forgetting but... can the 8500 boot to FW like we do now days? I think so but just too expensive back then. Let's see if there's anyway to boot with the FW. You'd need to find just any drive for testing but a drive.

The best thing here I say is after solving the puzzle get a new faster SATA or ATA unless SATA won't work on that vintage. It's the fastest way to transfer data and cheaper per GB in cost than SCSI. Any newer ATA/SATA drive would max out the PCI bus speed on a 8500.

I think. Right here is a manual for a your card? Looks like you should be able to install 9 and then OSX or 10.x we'll get some feedback from the others but you have a few options here.

So, how do i get this 8500 going ? or is it not possible and a sheer waste of money to so do ?
    If you really want a good useful computer I'd do different. I am assuming you were doing this for fun or learn I don't know. It will play music good but doubt it'd internet fast enough for anything serious. Maybe email, music some apps I'm not sure. I had a 7500 with a G3/500, Max RAM, a Voodoo 5500 graphics, faster graphics card and top notch PCI Card with a 10,000 rpm SCSI Cheetah drive and it kicked asre a great machine in the day but no more. It did many things as good as my neighbors - the first G4 - a PCI 400MHz
    Last edited by rwm; 05-31-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: clarify, add info

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

returning to factory spec and making sure it boots is confirming that you do not have a motherboard or power supply problem going on.

Adding your stuff back into the 8500 one piece at a time and booting after every piece is a process of elimination Each item you add that still allows a proper boot up is NOT the item that is the issue. When you get to the problem item your Mac won't boot and you will know which one is the culprit. Once you boot form the OS 9 cd you can run the Disk Utility on the cd to see for sure if your scsi drive is bad or it may not show up at all in which case you know it's gone

Knowing whether your IDE card is bootable is important. It would seem to be bootable since you booted OS X with it but if I remember Xpostfacto correctly from a shutdown state you boot first to the scsi drive and then it restarts from the OS X drive.... Is that correct? If so then the IDE card may not be 'cold' bootable. We can find that out for you if you can get a name and model number off the card
    Damien,

Thumbs up Thanks, Damien

That was great. Follow his directions...

Thanks guys.

At this point I feel that some of you are just having fun with me in that since i am really not computer repair savvy i can't challenge your advice. And so some of you say do this, do that, and also most of the time I am repeating my self over and over. Once that happens then the problem is really not solved but goes around in circles at the delight of some here.

Today I took that Apple/Seagate 2 GB drive to a local PC/Mac repair shop and the guy somehow checked/confirmed that that SCSI drive is indeed dead. He said he would be prepared to examine the 8500 and determine if it can be brought back to life. Naturally at a cost. He would show me what he was doing and why. His quote to examine was very reasonable.

So I'm going to check this with the chief financial officer here and see how much $$$ she is prepared to allow me to spend. Like what else can an old fffrtttt spend his money on if not computers. At this stage of life it's only money. Some drink, some gamble, i waste my money on computers and computer gadgets.

Meanwhile I sincerely thank each one and am really sorry for having troubled you with my silly problem trying to save an 18 year old computer from going to the land fill.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 06-01-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings
    http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Damien just out lined exactly what you'd need to do to try and figure this out. I don't have time to waste screwing with you for no reason. I have a lot of other things to do. We all have tried to help. This old fart got tired of screwing with the inside of computers for the reasons were have just been through, frustrating, time consuming so now I throw my extra money into fish tanks. It's not worth it and yes those older computer took a lot of redundancy to figure out whats, what.

Unless you have test equipment thats about the only way to figure out whats wrong. One piece of hardware at a time. I don't have your drive in hand or the equipment to even test it. I'd be swapping components just like we asked you to do.

I apologize that my memory does not remember each little detail from 10 years ago about these older computers. I spent most of my memorial weekend looking up info and searching old threads for you... it is really hard trouble shooting via writing.

We did not intended to run you in any circles. We all needed to know a few things to make an educated guess as to even where to start. Yes, we each asked in our own words "to do or check something" we'd not get an answer. It could have been a RAM issue. I apologize as I really thought your 2GB drive just needed a reformat. The times I've dealt with bad drives there was many other issues going on so yes I was wrong.

I'm tired of typing. I only have 1 finger to type with I'm a little slow. Even when it dies don't landfill it there are organizations that take older computers, fix them up for the less fortunate.

I'm sorry you feel we wasted your time. Like I said if it will boot and run from the ATA drive it would make a good computer to play music, check email and maybe do some light internet. I'll send you a old graphics card free if you want. It would be much better than the stock video. It's collecting dust here I'll even pay the shipping. Just email me your address.

None of us get paid to do this. We do it on our own time because we enjoy helping or because someone helped us years ago with same issues... sometimes we do good sometimes not so good.

Spend your money how you want... it's happiness that makes things count at this stage in life. My stupid fish will never make me any money but I enjoy watching them grow and recently started a salt water tank and am hooked. My tanks only 15 gallons and 5 months old and it's just starting to look awesome the plant growth etc they say it takes a year to really see. I just bought another bigger one A 90 gallon off craigslist in Idaho and I live in Montana but it'[s still closer and a much better deal. I'll bet next spring I'll convert my 200 gallon fresh water into saltwater... we'll see.

Except for the aches and daily pain I really don't my being an old fart. I think were all mostly old farts on this forum we been there and done that. I hope the local repair guy can fix your 8500 up and make you happy.

rwm,

I'm sorry you feel we wasted your time.
    No you guys did not waste my time because honestly I learned a lot of computer stuff i never knew about. Also you guys gave me the courage to tug and pull out and re-install a lot of the parts inside that 8500.

However as I noted
    At this point I feel that some of you are just having fun with me in that since i am really not computer repair savvy i can't challenge your advice.
    I still am following the advice/information you guys provided to get this 8500 working.

I'll send you a old graphics card free if you want. It would be much better than the stock video. It's collecting dust here I'll even pay the shipping. Just email me your address.
    Most generous of you Sir. I will PM you with my home address.

Ah, you don't have SCSI hard drive ?

I apologize sincerely if i got you mad because you have spent an inordinate amount of time to help me here.

As no doubt you could tell that my knowledge of computers was simply how to turn it on and how to turn it off. After that I allow TechToolPro, DiskWarrior, and Disk Utilities take care of the software stuff plus a lot of bucks to some Apple tech guy to handle the hardware problems.

I've been frequenting this web site for 8+ years and let me assure you no one here would yank your chain. Everyone here also has had their share of computer frustrations, my self included. Everyone wants to help, we are sympathetic to the plight of those with problems with their Macs.

Your situation is unique. You have a 20 year old computer that has been modified with a different processor and PCI cards. It was not designed to use OS X, it was modified to do so. That process requires many little tweaks to make it work. After 20 years there's a lot of information that get shoved in the corners of the brain and pulling it back up is a challenge. That is when 2 heads ( or several ) are better than one. It takes patients to get it done. But it can be done.

Good luck with your endeavor.

yeungfeng;

Sorry guy, it was frustration speaking.

I've re-installed the original processor with no difference in startup.

Now i've replaced the Sonnet g4 processor card.

Am i supposed to do the CUDA thing every time i pull out and replace a processor card ?

Don't think you need to use the CUDA. Try starting up on you OS 8 disc. Observe what happens. If it starts up the you know the 8500 is OK.

I've purchased a SCSI'd hard drive . The drive is a 3GB Quantum, which matches nicely with the machine as far as the era is concerned.

So here's hoping all works well with this replacement drive.

Will be back as that guy said.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

It needs to be set to ID 0 and it needs termination enabled not 'term power' but actual termination

You do this with the jumpers on the drive, should be a diagram on the label
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    It needs to be set to ID 0 and it needs termination enabled not 'term power' but actual termination

You do this with the jumpers on the drive, should be a diagram on the label

Thanks for the heads up reminder. When I get the drive hope i can call on you to guide me thru the process unless the diagram makes it clear and easy to do.

I was wondering about that SCSI ribbon that plugs into the main 2 GB hard drive of the 8500.

I have always noticed that there is a second 50 pin female plug on that same ribbon.

Is that for another hard drive that can be connected on the same SCSI ribbon ?

Yes it is. Read our previous posts.

There will not be any conflict between the 2 drives on the same SCSI ribbon ?

Or do i have to change the pins or ID or change something ?

Please bear in mind that my knowledge of working inside any computer is zilch.

Default Yes,

Just make sure it has a separate or unique ID from 0 to 7and you should be fine. All of this was explained in detail in earlier posts... read back a page. You might have to change pins to change the ID from conflicting.

Google is your best friend... quicker, faster

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Just make sure it has a separate or unique ID from 0 to 7and you should be fine. All of this was explained in detail in earlier posts... read back a page. You might have to change pins to change the ID from conflicting.

Google is your best friend... quicker, faster

Tanks. I'm slowly catching on. I found the post i think you are referring to: https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26871

At this time I am really lost when you and others at this forum or other forums talk about changing pins.

I've examined the hard drive, at the end that has the 50 male pins that plug into the female plug-ins on the SCSI ribbon and have no clue what pins i am supposed to change in those 50 male pins.

And what tools do i need to change the pins.

I really appreciate all the patience you have shown me.

Search hard drive SCSI ID settings - Tons of info. Here are some images. DON'T use them. INFO ONLY you need to type in your drive name/brand and model to get proper settings.

You'll need small fingers and or a needle nose.

First thing I told you is that SCSI ID and termination was the hardest thing I found to understand.

Here are some photos... do they help? Look on your drive.

It's hard to find a lot of detailed SCSI discussion or images as everyone uses ATA/SATA Drives now.

Search Google's images with your brand and model number then put jumper settings you should find your drive.

Damien also told you to look on the label that's stuck on most every drive the diagram shows you how.

This is the SCSI hard drive i have

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/m...ta_jumpers.pdf

I'm finding pictures on the web about this drive that i have and other drives but no where that i can see or read where they actually tell you or show you what exactly you do. They refer to jumpers and pins. Yea, and so? Is there something I'm supposed to push in or pull out and if so what do i push in or pull out or disconnect or reconnect.