Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cuda

Thumbs up Pull hard

Does it take brute finger force or can I use needle nose plyers ? There is not much room for these stuby fingers.
    Both, you can try moving it just a little side to side only and yes pull gently but very firmly it will come out it might need a little force.

IF, i pulled that PCI card out would there be any markings on it that would identify that card as ATA or SCSI ?
    Yes there would be enough info to tell or just take a photo of it and post it.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yes, using the special startup manager by XPostFacto I could select either the 40 GB or the Apple/Seagate drive. And if I shut down from the 40 GB i could startup the next time directly into the 40 GB.

If this special startup manager lived on the 2gb is it not being there anymore possibly what's keeping you from booting?
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    If this special startup manager lived on the 2gb is it not being there anymore possibly what's keeping you from booting?
    Maybe?

Although I don't think that's the problem because XPostFacto's special startup manager had to live on both hard drives in order to have the ability to switch from/to the drive you wanted to startup.

Well, I disconnected the SCSI data ribbon and power cable from the Apple/Seagate 2 GB hard drive. Fired up and still no desktop also noted that there is no three note musical chord startup music.

As I am typing this posting it has come to mind : was I supposed to plug the SCSI data ribbon from the Apple/Seagate to the WesternDigital 40 GB hard drive ?
    Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings
    http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Maybe?

Although I don't think that's the problem because XPostFacto's special startup manager had to live on both hard drives in order to have the ability to switch from/to the drive you wanted to startup.
    This may not be totally true. The startup drive preference is set in the PRAM which is on the motherboard and kept active by the MB battery. But the 8500 won't recognize an OS X volume as a startup as a proper boot volume. Then you need the xpostfacto software. This software doesn't need to live in both drives or even on either drive to work. I bet it could run from a floppy if needed. This is all educated guesswork tho

Well, I disconnected the SCSI data ribbon and power cable from the Apple/Seagate 2 GB hard drive. Fired up and still no desktop also noted that there is no three note musical chord startup music.
    This makes me think you have an issue unrelated to OS X or Xpostfacto. Which seems to be the general consensus so far. Did you get the blinking ? when you tried this? Plug the seagate back in

When did you last change the battery?

Reseat your ram and your video ram (remove and put back in firmly, blow dust if necessary)

was I supposed to plug the SCSI data ribbon from the Apple/Seagate to the WesternDigital 40 GB hard drive ?
    no

were it me (and if you haven't done so already) I would plug the seagate back in and unplug all three PCI cards (you have an adb keyboard/mouse?) replace the processor upgrade with the original processor be sure to unplug the power cord to the WD drive and any other power draw that wasn't original to the 8500. Take it back to factory spec. Then if it boots add the things back one at a time until something fails.

I got my 8500 from a computer reclaim junk pile and it had a dead power supply, I replaced that and it's still going. not saying your PSU is bad, just rambling

I don't suppose you live anywhere any one of us lives? A hands on is always easier than troubleshooting via the web. Just general region no need for exact details or if you aren't comfy with that feel free to decline.
    Damien,

I think the concensus is that the 40 GB drive is an ATA drive run off a PCI card. Still need to trace the ribbon cables to their sources. If the 40 GB drive says ATA, PATA or IDE on it then it is definitely NOT a SCSI drive.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

were it me (and if you haven't done so already) I would plug the seagate back in and unplug all three PCI cards (you have an adb keyboard/mouse?) replace the processor upgrade with the original processor be sure to unplug the power cord to the WD drive and any other power draw that wasn't original to the 8500. Take it back to factory spec. Then if it boots add the things back one at a time until something fails.
    I've asked him to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I think the concensus is that the 40 GB drive is an ATA drive run off a PCI card. Still need to trace the ribbon cables to their sources. If the 40 GB drive says ATA, PATA or IDE on it then it is definitely NOT a SCSI drive.
    He did trace the cables back in this post somewhere, one cd scsi off the motherboard 1, 1 scsi 2gb off motherboard 2 and one from the PCI card to the 40gb that may or may not be scsi

He's apparently running off the motherboard video, he listed 3 lci cards and none was a video card
    Damien,

He's apparently running off the motherboard video, he listed 3 lci cards and none was a video card
    What 3 PCI Cards do you think? I'm thinking the 2GB is on stock bus or ribbon. The WD 40GB I assume is on a PCI --IDE/ATA/PATA Controller card.

I only count 1 PCI Card or 2 as I was assuming he had a video card too?

Mr. Magoo, Do you know where or what your video or monitor is connected to?

the second hard drive according to the manufacturers label is a Western Digital WD400, I D E 40 GB apparently built Aug 10, 2003 as i noted several times however I do realize this thread has now become a book.

Only counts as a book after 200 posts in one thread.

Can you add anymore? Were really here trying to help 4 or 5 post or 500 if need.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    I've asked him to do this.

I found the purchase invoice for this computer, I purchased it brand new in March 1996 for $5M and a Mac AudioVision 1710AV display for $1.5M plus $119. for an Apple Design Keyboard. Those are Canadian $. We sure get ripped off by Apple in Canada. The dealers attitude is you want an apple then you pay what apple wants. (sorry for the rant)

So, the Apple/Seagate is 2014-1996= 18 years old.

Not bad for all the hard work she had done for me and some of the catastrophic crashes she took when I purchased it and had no clue about what to do with all those "bombs" in system 8 and 9.. or some of kernal panics when I screwed up install RAM and a battery.

Doubters Ralph that she is still alive.

So, how do i get this 8500 going ? or is it not possible and a sheer waste of money to so do ?

What type of hard drive do i buy to make the connection to the ribbon and power cable removed from the Apple/Seagate ?

What else should I do or should I donate her to the land fill ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    the second hard drive according to the manufacturers label is a Western Digital WD400, I D E 40 GB apparently built Aug 10, 2003 as i noted several times however I do realize this thread has now become a book.
    I keep harping on it since you keep saying stuff like:

As I am typing this posting it has come to mind : was I supposed to plug the SCSI data ribbon from the Apple/Seagate to the WesternDigital 40 GB hard drive ?
    ATA drives and cables are totally different from SCSI drives and cables. Your two drives are on separate buses - separate TYPE buses. The ATA bus must be run off a PCI card since there isn’t one on the motherboard. The SCSI bus is built in.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I keep harping on it since you keep saying stuff like:

ATA drives and cables are totally different from SCSI drives and cables. Your two drives are on separate buses - separate TYPE buses. The ATA bus must be run off a PCI card since there isn’t one on the motherboard. The SCSI bus is built in.

With reference to post #2 showing me the PowerMacintosh 8500 Logic Board there are 3 PCI slots and the following cards are installed in my 8500:

There is a USB PCI card,
    There is a FireWire PCI card
    And There is this PCI card http://dl.acard.com/manual/english/aec-6280m_ver11.pdf

Default Took a while...

Were getting somewhere now..... Thank you. So are you sure the USB and FW are 2 different PCI Cards or 1 card with both USB and FW on it.

Your 3rd card you link to is a PCI ATA Controller Card as we assumed. - good card for the WD 40GB Drive ATA no SCSI involved.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    So are you sure the USB and FW are 2 different PCI Cards or 1 card with both USB and FW on it.

Yes, two different PCI cards : 3 port Firewire card and 2 port USB card.

OK, the 8500 is on stand by here waiting for further instructions please.

Is there some hope for me to fire up this 8500 without purchasing a SCSI hard drive and work with what I have already installed.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 05-30-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It will depend on if your ATA/ IDE hard drive is bootable from your PCI card. Did it have that option before? Could you boot from that drive before? Is there the correct firmware for the PCI card to be used as a boot source, if ever. Then there is the possibility that the ATA/IDE hard drive needs to have the pin settings set to master. That are referenced here.

The fact that it doesn't boot makes me wonder if as is, it can be used. I'm guessing you need that SCSI, but I could be wrong.

He was booting OS X from that drive but when he disconnected the scsi original drive it wouldn't boot either

Magoo you don't have to have a scsi drive connected for that machine to boot as long as you have a bootable drive somewhere. Your IDE drive on the card is apparently not bootable to it's OS X without XPostfacto which was apparently on the scsi drive. HOWEVER when you disconnected the scsi drive it should have still made the startup chime. OR maybe that card needed a driver that was on the scsi drive. OR maybe your G4 card needed some driver.... You need an OS 9.1 or earlier startup cdrom and you need to remove all the added stuff and go back to factory spec then add your stuff back one at a time.
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    You need an OS 9.1 or earlier startup cdrom and you need to remove all the added stuff and go back to factory spec then add your stuff back one at a time.
    If i remove the three PCI cards, the Sonnet G4 card, and then replace the original 8500 processor so that I can try to startup with OS 9 or earlier CD then what ?

It seems to me that at this point i have no hard drive to install the OS.

Question Is it a driver, firmware or just a non bootable card?

Early in this thread he or we had him press the CUDA could anything have been wiped to keep from booting there - where's it stored?

A driver would be easy it's on the drive but if something was written to firmware or such the CUDA reset might have wiped it.

I did that with a Giga and had to put stock processor back in do firmware update... I don't know how Sonnet works. If I get time I'll look for a .pdf of instructions.

Mr. Magoo what does the Sonnet directions say to to before installing it.

I'd like to get a clean install of OS 9 on that 2GB Drive and see what happens.

I've got a busy day today but will try and get back here.

Mr. Magoo what does the Sonnet directions say to to before installing it.
    Sonnet: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...sition_content

Here @ Sonnet it says in chapter two:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...1&action=a2#a2

That's why it's nice to buy from a reputable company, it may cost more but the after service is there. In fact they provided me much help at the time I was installing this card and even gave me for free their version of XPostFacto which i still have on one of my many firewired hard drives.

I'd like to get a clean install of OS 9 on that 2GB Drive and see what happens.

So would I my friend however she is dead after 18 years of faithful service.

Apple's emergency startup disk tools ( that came with the 8500 ) can't see her. It can see the 40 GB hard drive.

Perhaps i need a boot disk with XPostfacto on it to boot the drive. However it looks as though I really need to install a new SCSI drive.

Who makes those in these times ? And i would not trust buying a used one from eBay especially since i was burned on a $400 purchase that even paypal would not help me resolve.

Would this drive work ???? http://www.harddrivesdirect.com/prod...ucts_id=143114