Thread: MacBook Pro Late 2011. Broken LED Backlit

Exclamation MacBook Pro Late 2011. Broken LED Backlit

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a MacBook Pro 13'' Late 2011. When I got it, the screen was cracked, and it had water damage.
    Just so you know, I've got some pretty good knowledge while working on Mac Hardware, as well as software, and I've been doing this for a while.

I opened it, cleaned up every bit of corrosion I could find on the motherboard with some isopropylic alcohol, and I put everything back in.

My diagnosis at that point was :
    - The computer receives power with or without the battery connected (With the Power Adapter connected, the light turns to green/orange depending if the battery is connected.
    - Fan runs fine
    - Startup Chime is normal
    - Screen does not light up.

After some more alcohol rubbing around the display connector, the diagnosis was the same.
    After a couple of tests, I've noticed that if I put my iPhone flashlight at the back of computer screen while booting, I was able to see the nice Apple logo when booting the computer, saw pretty much everything in the center of the screen while logging in, and I got to the desktop without any problem.
    Since I taught that the LED Backlit was broken, I tried to test the computer with another screen that I borrowed from a tech friend.
    The problem is, it came with the same result : I was able to see the screen with my flashlight, but still no LED Backlit.

So after this long story, my question is :

What's the diagnosis to make here ?
    1. Option 1 - Both screens Backlit are dead (Which seems a little hard to believe since my friend taught it was working)
    2. Option 2 - The display connector on the motherboard is half-dead since the backlit part isn't working.

If you got more option, I'm all ears. And in case of Option 2, is it possible to :
    - Take off the display connector of the motherboard
    - Take off another display connector which is not damaged from another motherboard (where the processor is dead)
    - Solder the working display connector on my first motherboard.

Thanks a lot if you guys can help me with this.

Did you hook up an external monitor?

If that doesn’t tell you anything I don’t know of any way to tell short of swapping out parts. Seems to me most likely the graphics chipset is bad, but I have not much to go on. Any of them. And the only way to tell will be to swap stuff in or out.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Here is the list in order of steps, according to Apple:

1. Remove any connected peripherals.

2. Try known-good power outlet, power adapter, and power cord.

3. Press F2 (with the fn key pressed and not pressed) to increase the screen brightness setting.

4. Reboot the computer—hold down the Control and Command keys and press the Power button, or press and hold the Power button for 5 to 10 seconds to shut down the computer, then press the Power button to restart.

5. Reset the SMC. See Knowledge Base article 303319, “Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)”. Resetting the SMC means you will also need to reset the date and time (using the Date & Time pane of System Preferences).

Warning: Make sure you do not hold down the “fn” key when resetting the SMC.

6. Reset PRAM. Restart the computer, then hold down the Option-Command-P-R keys until you hear the startup sound at least one additional time after the initial startup sound.

7. Connect an external display, and check for video on external display.

• If video is fine on external display, troubleshoot LCD panel and verify cable connections to inverter and LCD. Verify battery connector with sleep switch connection.

• If video symptom is same on external display, replace logic board.

8. Verify that LCD panel cable and LVDS cable connections are seated properly and that the cables are not damaged. Check cables around the hinges for damage.

9. Replace Inverter board.

10. Replace battery connector with sleep switch.

11. Replace LCD panel.

12. Replace logic board.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin