Thread: Reconfiguring my setup to incorporate Mavericks

Default Reconfiguring my setup to incorporate Mavericks

Currently in my MacPro (3,1) I have 4 internal drives. Drive 1 is a 120GB SSD running Snow. Drive 2 is 2TB running ML and also contains the bulk of my documents and such (because the SSD is small). When I first installed the ML drive new last year, I put a second 500 GB partition on it just to have it there. Drives 3 and 4 are music-specific for recording and sample streaming.

I still use SL (mostly graphic work and apps that may work better in Snow than ML) and ML for other needs or for apps that no longer run on Snow.

I have a couple app updates which will require Mavericks only. I was thinking I didn't want to overwrite ML by doing an OS upgrade, but thought it would be better to do a fresh install on a new drive. So:

1) I could remove the SSD in slot 1 and replace it with a new 2TB drive using two partitions for Mavericks and SL. Then I would have no SSD.

2) Or, I could put Mavericks on that empty partition on the ML drive, but that means it will be on the bottom so not as fast (there's a lot of misc data occupying the rest of the ML partition in between). Or, put the ML system down there??

3) Or, I could put SL on that empty partition and turn the SSD into a Mavericks drive.

4) Or, maybe it's not worth keeping ML anymore?? Is it?? so I could leave SL where it is, and make the ML drive a Mavericks. (Plus I could eliminate that extra partition and give more room to what is now the ML drive, which isn't a bad thought...)

I know this is hardly a major life-or-death question here, but I do want a good setup because I do intend to continue working in more than one OS. I haven't tested Mavericks yet but I know many of you have.

Thanks.

Most important, whatever you do, is have a backup of anything useful. Apple updates have a habit of getting folks into trouble all without any errors on the part of the user. Backup backup backup. Then update or install.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Unhappy

Yep, that is an issue with Apple. We gotta check into it all first, app store updates, iOS, etc..

I'd say #3 would be my choice. The reason being, having ML, if you absolutely hate Mavericks you can go back, mostly, or at least have a place to go back to.

It almost sounds like you need more storage. Maybe take #1 then you have more storage. Once you take the step into Mavericks, you may not care to ever look back.

I would be tempted to either:

A) See this as an opportunity to get a fresh HD and shelf the old one as an archive.

B) Clone the existing system to another HD and shelve, and reuse the current HD with a fresh 10.9 install if it is new(ish) and fast.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I can see good reasons for all of them. Most definitely I will be starting with a fresh drive. It's just a matter of what will be going where. Mountain Lion contains all my documents and shared data, so it will continue to do so. I see it as being the middleman for Snow and Mavericks, kind of like my server. I still will need to keep ML for a couple plugins that won't make the switch to Mavericks.

I will still need Snow Leopard for quite a few things that will not work in Mavericks and are not so good in ML. So keeping SL is a must. too.

If I put SL (or any OS) on a second partition of a drive (especially if it is the first partition takes up 3/4 of the drive size), will it be really slow? I always want to put the OS on the first partition, but am thinking this one.