Thread: Mac Pro 1,1 will not boot

Default Mac Pro 1,1 will not boot

I looked around and couldn't find a similar situation or solution. My mac was setup to dual boot OS10 Snow Leopard and Win7. Changed out a video card and couldn't get it to boot.
    1. When I push the power button, the fans start to spin full speed and the only diag light I get is the trickle power
    2. Just replaced the PSU - no boot
    3. Checked for RAM lights - no boot
    4. I've already tried hard PRAM reset, SMC reset - no boot
    5. pulled all the cards and add-ons - no boot

Any ideas how to problem solve?

Default Need some more info

A silly question but did you take the first graphics card out to replace because it was bad or just upgrading?

Did you try the old card if it worked before?
    Are drivers installed for the new card. Which card make and model?
    Did you verify it's OSX and Win7 compatible?

All your other software up to date?

Which method are you running Win7?

Was this booting? Did you see it booted or buy it as is?

Thanks RWM for the speedy reply.

A silly question but did you take the first graphics card out to replace because it was bad or just upgrading?
    Just an upgrade from ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB to nVidia QuadroFX 4500.

Did you try the old card if it worked before?
    Yes, swapped back to the old card - no boot.

Are drivers installed for the new card. Which card make and model?
    Did you verify it's OSX and Win7 compatible? All your other software up to date? Which method are you running Win7? Was this booting? Did you see it booted or buy it as is?
    I used bootcamp to put OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on this Mac Pro 1.1. Then the harddrive was wiped to put only OSX Snow Leopard, and upgraded to the nVidia QuadroFX 4500 card. Now my machine will not even boot, so there's no way to even get to the OS to check drivers.

Currently, the MB only shows the Trickle light when I press the Diagnostic button. From what I've read, I should see both the Trickel and Power lights. I swapped PSUs to see if that was the reason why the MB Power light wasn't green. No change, just the Trickle light, and no boot.

What other ways can I problemsolve to determine what's wrong?

Replaced the battery?

Pulled all the RAM, see if the Mac beeps correctly?

Tried booting to DVD without the internal hard drives installed? Bad drive can break your Mac.

Do you have another Mac? Try to boot the problem MacPro into Target Disk Mode and hook it via Firewire to the other Mac and see if the drive is working and can be repaired.

I’m sure there is lots of other stuff, that is what comes to mind.

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Appreciate your ideas RICKS!

FYI - when I say no boot, I mean the system never even shows anything onscreen - no POST, no green POWER led on MB - just full-speed on fans and blank screen. Its like it never gets through BIOS.

Replaced the battery?
    I believe I did try that before with no boot. Will try again to be certain.

Pulled all the RAM, see if the Mac beeps correctly?
    I've pulled both risers - no beeps, no boot.
    Should I pull all RAM and leave risers?

Tried booting to DVD without the internal hard drives installed? Bad drive can break your Mac.
    I've tried booting with all HDDs and DVD drive uninstalled - no beeps, no boot.

Do you have another Mac? Try to boot the problem MacPro into Target Disk Mode and hook it via Firewire to the other Mac and see if the drive is working and can be repaired.
    I might be able to - but if the Mac won't get to POST or displaying anything on-screen, how would I do this?

Thanks,

I might be able to - but if the Mac won't get to POST or displaying anything on-screen, how would I do this?
    Hold the "T" key before you press power.

Here is a helpful Apple doc

I donít know if the risers have to be present or not to get a no RAM beep sequence. Probably not, but I donít know. Certainly no foul in trying it both ways.

I would probably try everything you have tried. And anything else I could think of. Iíd probably pull the CPUs and reseat them as well. And inspect the socket to make sure nothing is burned or damaged. About all you can do without having spare parts like CPUs and motherboards laying around.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin