Thread: USB3 Burly... how best to get this thing connected?

Default USB3 Burly... how best to get this thing connected?

I have a two bay Burly, with the USB3/e-SATA connectivity. It's works like shit with pretty much any mac I connect via USB.

What are my options??

Meaning……it is slow, or won't mount, or un-mounts randomly….or something else? Details please.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Also what Mac do you want it connected to?

Use ESATA if you can. USB is buggy
    Damien,

Results vary from Mac to Mac, worst case is dismounting every few moments, best case is being much slower than anticipated.

Have updated firmware on the drives (Seagate Barracuda 2GB), have not yet tried "Keep Drive Spinning" but will do so.

All the computers that the enclosure might be connected to either have FW800 or Thunderbolt. eSata sounds good, but there seems to be a profoundly limited number of products available at this stage!

It is not useful to run USB multidrive storage without using Keep Drive Spinning. Start there.

Next, make sure you power the Burly on AFTER booting the Mac. If you have the Burly on and connected while the Mac is booting, Apple's shoddy USB 3 bus will reset itself to USB 2. You can check the status of the connection in Apple System Profiler.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Same problems with KDS

Note the title was misleading. I don't have a problem with KDS itself. I have a problem with the drives (4 1TB) just unceremoniously dismounting then remounting. I have been using Keep Drives Spinning set to 20 seconds. Occasionally I can get through a backup without a dismount, but I'm starting to wonder if I got the right setup if USB3 is so buggy. I wasn't warned.

Question: Do you need to restart the applet every time you mount the drives? Or is it once and done?

I'll try to sequence It like Rick suggested - "power the Burly on AFTER booting the Mac" - and see if that was my problem.

Will report back.

Tim

Tim,

Keep Drive Spinning should resolve the dismounting problems. Make sure that KDS is pointed to all 4 drives. If you leave one out of the list it will drop offline and take all the others down and then right back up.

Pretty much a global problem with Apple USB 3. And so far the KDS solution has worked for *almost* everyone. I say almost because I have had a couple users over the last year who were unsuccessful in fully stabilizing their USB storage. I wish I could tell you why there is variance in different computers. We have the same problem with our test Macs, the first one we bought, a 2012 MBP, never has any sort of a problem at all, with or without KDS. And the PCs all seem to work. But the iMac has trouble with Lightroom file transfers to any USB 3 drive. And the Mini does the dismount thing unless KDS is present and running.

Point is, keep at it. Make sure every USB drive has KDS pointed at it. We'll get you figured out.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I now have Get Drive Spinning in use - no dismounts thus far.

Using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and Seagate Barracudas unless specified, some stats for your perusal ...

Non-Burly USB2, approx: write 25 MB/s, read 30 MB/s

Non-Burly FW800, approx: write 60 MB/s, read 50 MB/s

Non-Burly FW800 SSD, approx: write 80 MB/s, read 80MB/s

Burly USB2, approx: write 30 MB/s, read 40 MB/s

Burly USB3, approx: write 115 MB/s, read 115 MB/s

So, that is pretty awesome. So far, so solved! Thanks