Thread: USB or FireWire drives ?

Question USB or FireWire drives ?

Which external drive is faster when used by an INTEL ?
    Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings
    http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

I haven't a clue as to what you are referring to, INTEL what? And what is the context?
    Sometimes the question one asks determines the response.
    Keep in mind this is MAC Gurus forum

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    I haven't a clue as to what you are referring to, INTEL what? And what is the context?
    Sometimes the question one asks determines the response.
    Keep in mind this is MAC Gurus forum

Serves me right for asking Mac Gurus questions about Mac's .

I was referring to Macintosh iMac intel machines versuss a Macintosh PowerPC.

With any of my Macintosh "intel" machines I can boot up from a USB stick or a USB hard drive but with my Macintosh PowerPC 's i can't. Also with my Mac PowerPC's running any programme from a USB hard drive it is painfullllly slowwwww.

So with a Macintosh iMac is a USB hard drive or a Firewire hard drive faster ?

Let Google be your friend just ask it..."is usb faster than firewire" a bunch of answers.

Okay from slowest to fastest...

USB 2
    FW 400
    FW 800
    USB 3

USB 2.0 has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 480 Mbps, versus 400 Mbps for FireWire 400 and 800 Mbps for FireWire 800.
    Look at this search or search "is usb or firewire faster... you'll get what I put above. Like reading thisMacWorld's article theres more info and test results.

A YouTube... from Apple site. Did not watch it myself...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jiEY1JgOI

Thank you kind Sir.

The iMac i'm working with has a FW800 port ( 1 ) and USB 2 (4 ports ).

The firewired hard drives are somewhat pricey in Canada whereas the USB hard drives are reasonably priced for my pocket boot.

Staples in Edmonton Alberta has a 1TB USB hard drive for $134. May just spring for that one and use it as back up/vault .

Now, my wife's 2014 iMac model has the Thunderboat port however there's no way she will let me near it albeit who paid for it ( ? ). I only get to use it when she asks me for tech support.

You can use a ThunderBolt to FW adapter on her iMac if you'd like then it's using TB and saturating the drive. I backup to it every night.

Some say USB is not as solid or trouble free as firewire - I don't know I've only used FW. USB is good for backups, it can boot if need and it's been getting better. You don't need fast for a backup drive unless you have monster amounts of data or 1,000,001 family photo's.

FW800 is your best bet, sorry to say. If you only want to use it for TimeMachine, USB2 would be OK. If you want to boot from the external drive then FW800 is the ticket. USB3 still not so good on a MAC. Bite the bullet, other wise there will be sadness. I do not think anyone here would dispute this information. Now I've done it, were's Damien?

RWM was spot on, do a search. Nicely put RWM. Look at the numbers and Bob's your Uncle.

It's FireWire !!! Great advice. Thanks to all.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

As much as I like disputing... I agree with all that has been said so far

USB 2 - not boot-worthy but an ok backup device. the first time you make a brand new backup to this device expect it to take DAYS

FW800 - bootable and acceptably fast for non-speed intensive things

Thunderbolt - insanely fast and bootable

Oh and about those USB sticks. Not only are they limited by the slow speed of the USB connection but the speed of the actual chips inside the stick itself can vary widely.
    Damien,