Thread: Accidental reformat nightmare!

Default Accidental reformat nightmare!

Client thought it would be a good idea to reformat his master external back drive from NTFS to HFS and didn't realise he was going to scrub his data!
    Now it's MY problem.

I've run Data Rescue and that's been a mare and not worked. I've used File Salvage and that's pulled almost all of the files successfully but that only gives generic names to the files for the majority as Filename Rebuilder misses out at least 60% of them.

So, what's the best one to use to solve this problem?
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

I think you want to look at r-Tools. The R-Studio data recovery software works like it is supposed to on a Mac. They have a Windows version.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah…..most recovery tools will not salvage file name on a wiped drive. Getting the files is better than nothing, having to open and rename everything is brutal.

Never ready why, but wanna say it has something to do with meta data being stored differently from the content, and/or something to do with the directory getting wiped….
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Every last person I have turned on to R-Studio has said it got the folder structure and files organized. Well worth a trial.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I've just finished running EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and that is total rubbish.
    I've already recovered over 600gb of files using File Salvage yet EaseUS has managed only to find 1.2gb! I won't be bothering to pay $79 for that one!
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

I downloaded and ran R-Studio and I have to say that it was a total failure.
    I couldn't complete the operation as after two days it was still chugging away trying to tell me that I had Word docs of 50gb in size and could I make more space on the hard drive!
    This was recovering to a 1TB drive no more than 650gb worth of data. I deleted a whole load of meaningless PNG and other files, freeing up nearly 300gb and yet it was still not even half way through!

I've asked for a refund as it's been a nightmare.

I'll stick with the File Salvage recovery, and 50% renamed files, and the customer will just have to be happy with that or take it to a dedicated recovery unit and pay an arm and a leg for it.

Sorry to hear that. Data recover has always been a black art as far as I am concerned....what works on this does not work on that. Everybody that does it (that I know) has about 3 tools...and they tend to change over time as updates and new products appear.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I wrote to r-tools about the software, politely,
    Dear Sirs,
    I have to say that having downloaded and attempted to recover
    data from a reformatted drive that I am very very disappointed.
    At first, I was pleased because the initial scan was relatively
    quick compared to File Salvage and Data Rescue and I was looking
    forward to getting a decent structure back with the recovery, as
    opposed to folders full of files with generic names.
    Then came the massive disappointment as your software simply
    failed to deliver. Not only was it very slow, but where
    Filesalvage returned the expected 650gb or so of files, your
    software was still chugging away telling me that there was
    insufficient space on the 1TB hard drive even after I deleted a
    whole load of things that weren’t required. I also found that it
    was not reporting files sizes properly - after telling me that
    there was insufficient space on the drive it would offer me the
    option of recovering or skipping a 50gb Word doc! This happened
    several times and eventually I aborted the whole recovery process.
    As far as I’m concerned this is unusable and have decided to
    stick with the File Salvage recovery even though Filename
    rebuilder has left me with around 50% of the files with generic names.

I will delete the software and would ask you to refund the £49.99 that I paid by Paypal.

If it had done a good job I would have used it again in the
    future, but it didn’t so is consigned to the trash I’m afraid as I
    can’t spend any more time with it having wasted 2 days already.
    I received this response:
    Sorry, but we do not issue any refunds for downloadable software.

Our refund policy is published on our web-site and is accessible to
    all our customers prior to purchasing
    http://www.r-tt.com/Purchase.shtml.

If you didn't agree with our refund policy and had any doubts
    regarding the software you could contact our technical support team
    http://www.r-tt.com/TechnicalSupport.shtml prior to purchasing.

R-tools technology Inc.
    Sales Department
    sales@r-tt.com
    Unfortunately that simply means "We don't care, we've got your money and that's all that counts!"

I, for one, will only make one recommendation about the software and the company - KEEP WELL CLEAR!
    They can supply any junk and get away with it... I suppose they went to the Microshaft School for Business and passed the course with honors!

Sorry I led you wrong. I never talked with anyone who tried the Windows version of that software. Everyone who used the Mac version was more than satisfied.

Only recovery software I have ever used was loooong ago: Data Rescue that time. At the time it was award winning advanced stuff. Problem I remember was that every last file was recovered, but bereft of its directory. Might as well not recover the files as recover them randomised.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

No idea about the windows version, but this one was a dog.
    I've used Data Rescue and File Salvage on a regular basis but the claims of r-Tools made it out to be so superior that I had to give it a crack. What I didn't expect was for it to be utterly useless. It created so much havoc with the files - turning small Word files into 50gb - that it kept running out of space on the drive! That meant that I was constantly having to ask it to skip or delete other things it had already recovered - and doing that with 500,000+ files is absolutely impossible.
    What really stinks is the attitude of r-Tools - "we don't give a sh*t!"

Sorry to hear about the problems.

I'm one of those that had great success with R-Studio Mac, which recovered just about everything (file, folders, hierarchy, dates, etc) from a 1.5GB HD (HFS+ originally formatted in OS X), which I accidentally reformatted in OS 9.

It also worked great recovering files/folders *deleted* in Windows on an NTFS HD.

As Matt mentioned, however, recovery for formatting can be brutal, with OS X being harder than OS 9.

Disk Drill is another Mac app that also did a very good job of recovery of that same 1.5GB HD I accidentally formatted. At the time (about 2 years ago), it was almost as good as R-Studio, the only thing it didn't get was the dates (mod, creation). But Disk Drill and R-Studio have seen updates since them.
    http://www.cleverfiles.com/
    Before you buy, download and let it scan to see what it can recover. Then if it's looking like it can find stuff, then buy. May still be a version on the Mac App Store. When I was casting about the MAS version was heavily discounted so I bought it.