Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow Safari

Default Slow Safari

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a very slow Safari on my iMac 2GHz Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.9.1. For a few weeks now when I open a new link it can take Safari as much as 10 seconds to even start loading the page. If I click a link on the Favourites Bar the new address appears instantly but there's a 5 second delay before the blue progress bar appears and as much as 10 seconds before the actual page starts loading. I also have Firefox and it's no better. I have 4 Gigs of ram and according to Activity Monitor I'm nowhere near using the max. I thought at first that it could be as a result of upgrading to Mavricks, something I did when it first became available. Any input is welcome, it's slowly driving me crazy.

Thanks,
    Herman

Howdy -

If FF is no better..then not a specific Safari issue. Could it be something to do with your ISP or DNS settings?

Do you have anything else loaded (plugins, etc.) that might effect browsers?

You might try booting into Safe Mode to see if they behave any differently.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You might try different DNS settings just to see if anything changes. Open DNS typically is very fast, as is Google.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi, thanks for the tips. I did look in the Apple support pages and they also talked about DNS problems. I went to OpenDNS and opened an account but they only talk about OS up to Mountain Lion. I'll have a closer look and get back to you on this. Thanks again,
    Herman

You don't have to open an account and use their filtering….it is great though.

To test, simply enter their DNS numbers within your Network config. Most ISPs user their own, but you can always use whatever you like.

Good place to start. Enter these, restart your machine (likely not necessary, but good for a clean test), and see if pages load faster in any browser. If not, we can cross off DNS and look elsewhere.

I did opt for the OpenDNS, they are who I'm using now. I followed the instructions for OS X 10.8 since they haven't go 10.9 yet but it didn't change anything so I'm guessing it isn't a strictly network problem.

So, you typed in the OpenDNS numbers and no change?

OK, so something else is likely the culprit. Could be caches, or something similar. I might next create a test user account, log in, and try both browsers to see how they behave. If they are much better, it means that something specific in your user account is the culprit. If it is no better, then we know it is something global within the OS or applications.

I did boot into safe mode this morning and it came back "it's ok" so I'll try the new account idea now and see what happens.

I tried creating a new account and logging in with it but the lag times are still the same. I also tried linking directly through my modem instead via the router in case the problem was there but there's no change so I'm guessing it a system problem. Is there any way to go back to OS X 10.8 now that I've installed 10.9?

Unfortunately Apple does not write 'downdaters'. Once you have updated, unless you kept a backup, you will lose all your data for your Apple iApps. Mail, iTunes, iPhoto and so on, all have OS specific data bases attached to them. Those databases get updated when you update the OS. If you go back to an older OS version you will lose those.

With a backup you just lose any data added since the update was run.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ilford101 View Post
    I did boot into safe mode this morning and it came back "it's ok" so I'll try the new account idea now and see what happens.

So….how was browsing in safe mode? Better? Same?

Since it was no better in test user, something global is the cause. Could be caches, or something else. A free utility like Oynx might be worth trying to clean system cruft and caches.

I ran "repair disk permissions" and it came back with this: Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreS…s been modified and will not be repaired. Could that be the cause? I will try Onyx, thanks for the tip.

Unlikely. DU has often not been able to change permissions.......but this is a normal thing. It would be great if Apple would change the verbiage to be more clear....or simply remove these lines from the repair script.

I did a little looking today to see what tools are out there to clean out cache files and similar "house keeping" functions. Oynx is still about the best I can find among free ones. There is a bug in the latest version where it will sometimes hang upon finishing a script....but it does no harm. When you fire it up, use the Cleaning Tab, and run the scripts on the System, User, and Internet sub-menu. You can do more, but I expect that this would cover just about anything that could affect browser performance.

Other than that, one I found today that seems good (though simple in that it only has two real functions) in that it is pretty clear as to what to delete, and gives the user granular control: AVG Cleaner. Ran it on my work machine, used it to delete some caches, worked fine. Doubt this would offer anything more or unique compared to Onyx though.

This is another box to check.....clean out caches (temp files that are supposed to speed up overall performance), and let the browsers and OS generate new ones. It may help, but if not, one more variable to reduce on your quest to regain performance.

If no help is found in in cleaning cache and temp files, next we can look at your Console log for clues.
    Last edited by unclemac; 01-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.

After suggesting this I hope the folks with the tar and oil do not appear. Did you attempt to reset Safari? The last time I had Safari issues it worked like a charm.

I ran the cleaning operations in Onyx and there is some improvement for sure but when I open Firefox it's still the same. So I won't reset Safari as that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    After suggesting this I hope the folks with the tar and oil do not appear. Did you attempt to reset Safari? The last time I had Safari issues it worked like a charm.
    I would suspect that reseting Safari would have it behaving about the same as it would in the new test user…..I think everything reset is user history/cache/temp stuff. Never checked though, just my hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ilford101 View Post
    I ran the cleaning operations in Onyx and there is some improvement for sure but when I open Firefox it's still the same. So I won't reset Safari as that doesn't seem to be the issue.
    Improvement…..in web browsers? Or something else?

And don't forget, after cleaning cache and similar temp files, the first launch of an affected app should be slow…..it would only seem faster after it had written out new cache and temp files.

Problem solved, at long last! I talked with Apple about this on 2 occasions and nothing really changed either so I went over everything I'd done over the last 3 weeks. One thing I did was instal a new Sophos security program. I had it before but it hung up so I uninstalled it and downloaded and reinstalled it. Last night I removed it again and Safari is back to normal. Using Speedtest.org the difference in ping time went from 36ms with Sophos to 18ms without. Life is beautiful again.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and input guys.

Interesting. I have used Sophos on quiet a few machines before, never noticed any issue. Wonder if the current version simply has a bug, or perhaps there is some packet scanning going in that slows down everything web……?

Good to know, good trouble-shooting, and thanks for the update!

Well if I'd known that . . . . . right. It always seems the problem is the most obvious, in hind sight. The thing is it was working just fine and who'd ever thought . . . .

Seems seeing the obvious is not so easy. I too have used Sophos, actually it's still installed, I don't keep it active. It caused too many slow downs. I use it now and again.

Something nice about figuring it out by yourself. Not as easy, but rewarding. Nice job, glad to hear you figured it out.