Thread: 27" iMacs "constraints"

Default 27" iMacs "constraints"

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this info, in the event it is of value to any of the forum members.

I decided upon an iMac (had considered a MacPro) and placed my order on Nov 29, 2013. I live within walking distance of an Apple Store and placed my order there. As of today, I have not received the iMac and have been given 4 separate estimates for delivery:

1) Jan 16-17; 2) Dec 23; 3) Jan 7; and 4) today, I was told it should be "shipping sometime mid-January". Apple's delivery/shipping estimate is 7-10 days to my location.

In the last few days, I was also told there are "constraints" on the 27" iMacs. The guys at Apple told me they have asked up the line what the constraints are, but have not been given an answer. My sales guys are guessing it could be something to do with the 27" screen, but they told me that is only a guess. I've googled 27" iMac constraints but only come up with answers relating to the early 2013 iMacs, not the current builds. The Apple website says my build is available to ship within 6-8 business days: that has not been my experience.

So, I wait and am back to rethinking the iMac/MacPro thing. I figure I have at least 7 days to make a change and cancel this order if I do decide to go with a MacPro...and February/March is just around the corner...

Happy New Year!
    MsNikon

If it's shipping from the US, oh dear. Christmas left the shippers unable to keep up with the demand of their services. Coupled with the weather in the East. Might be the reason. Though I might add that, any time I have order a new Mac, I have waited anxiously for it's arrival. Just not that long. Sorry for your plight. Just think how great it will be once you have it . . . .good luck

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    If it's shipping from the US, oh dear. Christmas left the shippers unable to keep up with the demand of their services. Coupled with the weather in the East. Might be the reason. Though I might add that, any time I have order a new Mac, I have waited anxiously for it's arrival. Just not that long. Sorry for your plight. Just think how great it will be once you have it . . . .good luck
    Hi yeungfeng,

Thanks! I am literally counting the days until receipt of the computer!
    I asked the Apple store where it was being shipped from and was told they didn't specifically know, but doubted it was from the USA. I'm thinking it's one of the other components that is causing the delay, not the screen, because I've recently learned people are receiving custom 27" iMacs that were ordered after I placed my order.

It will be brilliant to have a new desktop! I used Disk Speed Test to test my current late 2009 iMac and got WRITE speeds of 98.6 MB/s and READ speeds of 98.6 MB/s with a 1GB file. How much faster is this new iMac going to be? At this point, I can only imagine

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I get around 115 write and 125 read on a 1G file from my new seagate drive. Not sure what drive you ordered. If you got the SSD it will be much faster. My SSD is almost triple the speed of my seagate

You are getting a 5 year newer processor as well so processor intensive tasks will be much quicker
    Damien,

I did order the SSD and given the (5 year) newer processor, this iMac will be a treat to work with. I'm also looking forward to the reduced glare of the new screen. I've become accustomed to the reflective older screen, trying to control reflections as well as possible given the environment, but an Apple-stated glare reduction of 75% will be interesting to see outside of the Apple store.

Cheers!

The good news is that I received an email from Apple and my iMac has been shipped :-)

The Fed Ex pick up date is today, Jan 6 and delivery is scheduled for Jan 8. Wow! Nothing has ever come to Canada in two days.

yeungfeng you asked where it was being shipped from, the tracking page says MIRA LOMA, CA US.

During the wait, I spent a lot of time rethinking my iMac/MacPro choice and came to the conclusion that the iMac is the right computer for me (for today) due to my not doing video, not using Final Cut Pro, and not doing any 3D rendering. I mostly use Lightroom, Photoshop and a few other photography related programs.

When everything is set up, I'll write my impressions of the new computer + the DataTale 4 drive thunderbolt external system that is raring to go.

I haven't known what to respond on this thread. Didn't know there were any manufacturing problems with the iMac. Had not heard any of that. In fact, couldn't even search out anything about it. Can you post some of the things you have been hearing? Love to know what all is going on.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Sweet

I missed this thread.

My guess is that you will be happy and surprised with the performance. Having nothing but my gut feeling with my unknown biases and zero experience I really hope your not disappointed to even guess.

The specs of a new MacPro just blow me away.

Oh I think I figured it out. The reason it's taken so long is that you added the SSD. Maybe they build those on demand? Just a thought.

The other thought was going to be about thunderbolt envy, a DataTale 4 drive thunderbolt external system. And how your backup times will be so short. set up! Santa did not bring me one. Why Santa, why so cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I haven't known what to respond on this thread. Didn't know there were any manufacturing problems with the iMac. Had not heard any of that. In fact, couldn't even search out anything about it. Can you post some of the things you have been hearing? Love to know what all is going on.

Rick
    Hi Rick,

You're in good company, because the guys at the Apple store didn't know how to respond to this either I was at the Apple store this evening and the people I've been dealing with are very happy my computer has shipped but beyond that, they have no answer as to why such a delay.

I don't know much, but when trying to see if others have experienced a long delay in receiving an iMac, I found one person who ordered a 27" on Black Friday (same date I ordered) and he received it on Dec 13. His iMac had a fusion drive, vs my 1TB SSD. The other people I know of who received 27" iMacs all ordered theirs after mine and received delivery sooner.

Was it the 1 TB SSD? One of the people who ordered after I did and received delivery of their 27" iMac a couple of weeks ago, also had a 1TB SSD. The guys at Apple really did not seem to know the reason for the delay, except that they, and I, were informed of a "constraint" after the second delivery date was not met.

A friend of mine got about $50 off the price of her iPhone 5 when Apple didn't meet the initial delivery deadline for the phone. With that in mind, I asked if the delay with my computer would warrant some sort of customer service type of compensation, ie an Apple gift card. The answer to that: no.

The positive of all this is my invoice will be 2014 and I am very much looking forward to this new computer

Cheers!
    MsNikon
    PS I changed the profile picture on my personal page but the image next to my post is still the old one. Is there something more I need to do? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    Oh I think I figured it out. The reason it's taken so long is that you added the SSD. Maybe they build those on demand? Just a thought.

The other thought was going to be about thunderbolt envy, a DataTale 4 drive thunderbolt external system. And how your backup times will be so short. set up! Santa did not bring me one. Why Santa, why so cruel?
    I saw your post after just making mine. It could have been the SSD, that was one thought as mentioned in my post above.

Yes, that DataTale, it's amazing! And it is really quiet. I am so looking forward to having it in use with the iMac. What I really, truly wanted was a TB external system: big and fast! Have been looking at these practically since TB was introduced. I outlined my needs/usage and Rick helped me select the "best" configuration for my purpose. What I decided upon was 2 x 8TB RAID0 volumes, one backing up to the other. Thanks to a FW800>Thunderbolt adapter, the DataTale is all set to go once the iMac arrives.

Santa, hmmmm, well there is always the Easter Bunny, and we can't forget the Tooth Fairy (she brings much more valuable presents nowadays as compared to when I was a child)...

Change your Avatar picture.

Glad your long wait is nearly over!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the advice Rick, avatar and DataTale
    Last edited by MsNikon; 01-06-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: to clarify message :-)