Thread: New 2013 MacPro

Default New 2013 MacPro

Well, it is about to hit the fan. The Video and photo pro's have been waiting on this release forever, and hanging on Apple's statement - coming in December - and then Apple puts them up in December as shipping in February. Woof. On Sale in December led me to sell my workstation - no biggie, I have others - but how many photographers and videographers been hanging their end of year business plan on buying a new MacPro and all the accessories it takes to move to Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. This is not a good customer relations move on Apple's part. And it ain't gonna be pretty.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

This looks awfully familiar. Are they making them in the former G4 CPU factory?

Apple's delivery date extension definitely puts a dent on my taxes. Not only saved up for the purchase but sold a previously expensed computer to help defray the cost. End result - the sold computer and the set aside dollars get taxed in 2013 adding a bunch of hundreds to the cost.

This is going to be writ large for all small businesses who set aside expense money in 2013 for Apple's release date promise.

More I think about it, more I lose faith in Apple's ability to do a major pro release any longer. Depressing and annoying. Whatever happened to 'in 2013"?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Over-promise, and under-deliver. The golden rule of customer satisfaction.

Wait….

Under-delvier and ove-promise. That's it.

Or…..No….

You can buy now, even if it does not ship til Feb. Does that help with taxes?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Actually, you cannot buy now at all - all you can do is place an order. Apple (rightly so) cannot book sales in 2013 for product shipping 'sometime' in 2014. Bad bad bad from an accounting standpoint since if you book the sales that means you have the money on your books, yet you don't actually have the money. So no invoices from Apple, only sales orders are given until the unit ships and then an invoice is emailed and the card charged. MacGurus does the same thing, for the most part. Except we issue the invoice at time of sale, even if we don't charge the credit card until it ships. So our customers can show the sale when they place it.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Huh…their shopping cart should not say "check out now" then….

If you don't have you still have your connection at Apple, would a third party vendor sell it now? Powermax in OR has no tax….me likey.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I looked at a couple resellers. Mostly they were 'pre-order' type situation. Not actually promising anything. It isn't a huge deal - but it is a several hundred dollar deal. It is about a push buying from a tax free reseller, we get the 5% business discount, which just about cover the 6% Idaho sales tax if I purchase from Apple.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Don't suppose you could buy the same dollar amount of a different model And not have them shipped. Return them in February. Kind of complicated. The whole tax game is hard to play. You think Apple would know the routine. Maybe they had some snafus with supplies, causing delays. Oh they are made in USA.
    My least favorite building material depot seems to always screw up the timing of things with late product delivery. Three weeks this time, six weeks the previous time. Maybe if you wrote Tim Cook he,d discount the Pro's to cover your loss. He might.

Oh and I have to add, that just sucks!

Well, I pretty much have done my whining. Still need to do the dirty and put up or shut up on the purchase. I will just proceed and pay the taxes. I will say this should have said 'coming in february'.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Good grief looks like Apple was playing some kind of game with the December deadline. Hope you got in!

I so hope that USB3 is reliable on the 2013 Mac Pro.

Just saw one in the flesh today at the local Apple reseller. Sexy.

Don't me all hot and breathing hard quite yet. Still got a month before I'll see one here.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin