Thread: Latest OS - clashes with Quark, for example?

Default Latest OS - clashes with Quark, for example?

Thinking of upgrading from 10.6.8 - no good reason, only that if I want to use iCloud (on my iPad etc), so I think I need a higher level Mac OS on my iMac. (iMac 3.2Ghz, Intel 3).

Trouble is I have what Quark describes as an 'old' version of QuarkXpress, which I think doesn't run with the latest Mac OS, and which would thus need replacing.

Is this true? Is there a site where I can find a list of popular software and of its compatibility to Mac OSystems? (I have plenty of other 'old' applications, and I have a feeling that some of them might need replacing, too).

Plus any thoughts on the advisability or otherwise of iCloud as a document storage area - I could always use Dropbox, which has a document area as well as the commonly used photos.

(Oh, and a Happy New Year to you all).

Thanks.

Allen.

Sounds like it could be one of those "Catch 22" things. It depends on the the version of QuarkXpress you own. You could possibly upgrade. QuarkXPress 8 licenses are only eligible to upgrade to version 10 until March 31, 2014, might keep that in mind as well. But the other software, is 10.6.8 still utilizing Rosetta? I think so, which you then may have much to upgrade. Some stuff doesn't require upgrading. Don't know of a way, off hand, to find out except check each software web site for system requirements.

I had to make the choice and did it. I had to give up AppleWorks, with much sadness and the migrate to Pages. A minor thing considering I can now sync all my calendars, mail and have it all with me everywhere I roam.

Ricks doesn't think the move is any great step on improving the OS and I do agree if you don't need to do it, don't. But if having all the information both places is important, it's a no brainer. It works. I have yet to move from 10.8.5 to 10.9, no hurry. When I hear the all bugs clear, I'll get it. It's progress, who doesn't want to progress, sorry I digress.

Thanks yeungfeng, interesting thoughts.

Yes, 10.6.8 does still use Rosetta.

You might have pointed to a workround, though - maybe I'll start using Pages for documents rather than Quark (which is only a hangover really from those far off days when I used to earn a living using it).

I shall investigate.

(Later: I suppose if I upgrade to OS Mavericks, I'll have the same trouble - which seems the only way I'd get Pages onto my iMac! Not that the Mac publicity blurb for Mavericks mentions possible program clashes, of course).

A
    Last edited by billybobski; 01-03-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: further info.

Question You can test it first.

I've not made the switch to Mavericks yet myself. I've got many spare drives or even a partition I've been going to test it out on before upgrading my "main drive" and if all goes good. I'll switch. Just been busy or just have had more pressing issues.
    Last edited by rwm; 01-03-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Default Then...

It will allow you to see what if any changes from it's looks to what software/hardware works or does not, what upgrades you might need - drivers, software updates, how it works with your printer, scanner, external drives and others it's just a test drive.

Pages isn't so bad. Mostly it's just learning new stuff after finally figuring out how to do it on AppleWorks or Quark. I don't know about Quark but I can open old AppleWorks files in Pages or one of the other iWork bundle items. I'm sure Pages will be upgradable into the future and cheaper than Quark.

I've got no objections to using Pages either, yeungfeng - once you get the hang of them, most word processing programs are much the same. (And everything in the world is cheaper than Quark, except maybe diamonds).

But I'll wait till rwm gets round to running his Maverick test, I think. As he points out, it's not just Quark that screws things up - I remember going 'up' a level to Photoshop Elements and finding that it didn't have an import facility for scanning from my Canon printer(!). Luckily I found a blogger in the US (a woman called Barbara I remember) who'd encountered and solved the same problem.

I really would prefer an easy ride!

A

Allen I'm not sure when I will get to this. I was thinking if you had an extra drive or partition you could update and test "your software/hardware" - if I test mine... and it works that does not mean yours will work. We have different computers, software, hardware etc.

For the most part people have not had issues and any obvious bugs have been fixed. I use an old 08' Pages and Numbers in ML 10.8 just fine.

Thanks rwm, I'll see about fettling up a spare drive to run from - but first I'll have a long think about why I'm doing it, which is probably 'cos I don't like being beaten by darned updates!

Most of my docs are on my iMac; just occasionally I'd like access to something on my iPad as well, but a workround (like saving it as a .txt file and sticking it in Dropbox) might be an easier answer.

I'll post again if I get the spare drive running Mavericks...

Allen.

Thumbs up Sounds good

I'll post again if I get the spare drive running Mavericks...
    So will I. I should give it a go this week. I just have not been all that curious but better find out and I'm not expecting any surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    So will I. I should give it a go this week. I just have not been all that curious but better find out and I'm not expecting any surprises.
    I made the mistake of updating my Mac Mini to Mavericks and while I'm still using it, it isn't as good as Mountain Lion was IMO. The new way memory is managed sucks if you have 4 gigs or less of ram for one thing. Applications bounce in the dock now, I never saw that with ML, and everything seems to take longer. Odd things happen too like my keyboard arrow keys can't be used to select a user at login screen unless I hit the mouse button first. I never saw the spinning wheel of death in ML now it's a daily feature. BTW Quark is a dead application. I work in Prepress and I stopped updating it at version 8.5 and only updated to that because I got it for free from Quark when Adobe dropped the partners program and Quark was trying to lure us back. From what I've seen the newer versions of Quark are so full of bugs it's a crap shoot to use now. InDesign is the page layout program most people now use, although now that it has a multipage feature some use Illustrator, I'd stay away from Pages as it's no better than Word.

Interesting comments, Almaink, thanks.

I'll be approaching the Mavericks test very gingerly - I won't touch my iMac, but instead use a spare Firewire hard drive as a clone, and run from there for a little while - so if it all goes tits up (not sure there's a US translation for that) I'll wipe the Firewire drive and forget it.

Re. the Quark/Pages business - for years now, I've only used Quark as a word-processing program, partly because I 'grew up' with it, partly because it's so superior to everything else... so I'll stick with it, as long as I haven't got to dig deep into my pocket for their upgrades.

Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by almaink
    I'd stay away from Pages as it's no better than Word.
    I don't need many frills in a Word processing app so Pages works great for my needs - cheap. I receive and send Word documents daily. Pages opens all the Work documents and I can edit, add, change them and save as a Pages document then I Export as Word to the Word needing people out there.

I really apprecaite your other comments.

I have not kept up with Querk , but used to support some publications using it. Simple rule for Quark:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I would not expect an OS update to go well; I would suspect you will have trouble. Best way to mitigate the risk would be to make bootable clone…then update the clone. When you see the mushroom cloud ballon up from Quark, boot back to your old OS and let out a sigh of relief.

Then…..plan to upgrade Quark and the OS, or plan to migrate away from Quark to anything else.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, same here- I'll wait til Mavericks has at least several more point upgrades before switching over... And only after I fully research compatibility with all my major apps... I passed on Lion and Mountain Lion entirely- except for a test and research partition on a firewire drive..

To me, it almost seems like Mavericks is or could be the ripe fruit of 10.7 and 10.8 "beta" OS's!

Well, I'm ready... got me bootable firewire drive all cloned and copied, just waiting to press the button.

What's stopping me is that I've just googled Quark/Mavericks and found loads of complaints about incompatibility! And that's on Q9 and Q10, so I have grave doubts about my old Quark 7 actually running.

Anyway, can't do any harm. Can it?

A

Quark 7 definitely will not run on 10.9
    You may find the info you need here: http://forums.quark.com/t/21811.aspx
    I'm using Q9 on Mavericks, no problem. Doubt that I'll upgrade to 10 though.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Thanks for that, Macloon.

I've got a feeling that I'm 'bouncing' myself into upgrades that I really don't want or need, since I stopped work over 15 years ago and only use Quark because I've always used Quark.... Q7 does all I need it to do. Come the day when I'm forced to upgrade generally, I will, but for now, I'll settle for what I've got.

A

I agree with you. I've been using Quark since 91 with Quark 3, I use it for just about everything except spreadsheets and databases. For many years, for simple things I'd use Claris Works and later Appleworks, but that all went with 10.7.
    It really is a case of what you're used to and, indeed, that was one of the reasons I hardly used Lion at all, much preferring to remain with Snow Leopard and Quark 6/7 and Appleworks... but then it became impossible for me to lag behind and it was no fun at all constantly booting back into 10.6 just to use two applications. It was also very difficult for me to advise customers on what worked and what didn't if I wasn't using Lion.
    The killer blow for me was turning off MobileMe - bad as it was - and moving to iCloud. I had no choice at all that point as I needed everything that iCloud offered and here I am... wondering if Mavericks is as bad and buggy as I have the impression it is?
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

A little late to the party, sorry.

RoaringApps is still one of the better sites for checking compatibility:
    http://roaringapps.com/
    I think it got started with Snow Leopard or Lion, but they've been tracking ever since. You'll find a mix of user reports and links to official statements.

Snow Leopard is the last OS with Rosetta, hence support for PowerPC code, which pretty much means you're out of luck with Quark 7 on anything after. Post-Snow Leopard with no Rosetta is the big hurt since the upgrades typically cost for Intel-only cost -- not just Quark.

Quark 9 and 10 require updates for Mavericks, but they are available.

Quark last year changed their update policy, basically support only one version back. Anything older would be left out for upgrade pricing, excluding limited time offers. Towards the end of the year (with the v10 announcement), for instance, they had an upgrade offer from any previous version. So I upgraded my Quark v7 Win to v9 (with v10 for free), along with my Mac v9 to v10. For work, I still have stuff done in Quark, and deal with some magazines that still use Quark and the Windows versions at that. Sometimes they freaking hose a pdf, so I have to send them the freaking project.

As mentioned in the thread, Quark lost the recent round to InDesign, so it wouldn't surprise me if they once again offer an upgrade from any previous version. If it really matters to you in the future, then keep an eye out for offers.