Thread: Upgrade to 10.11 and the Uninvited Guest (Mac Keeper)

Default Upgrade to 10.11 and the Uninvited Guest (Mac Keeper)

So, a friend of mine recently bought a used laptop and I helped her transfer her old apps/docs/pics etc to the new laptop.

She had a couple more questions the other day, so I went over there to help her out. While I was there, she asked me about this "pop up" on her screen - it was from Mac Keeper, and, of course, it wanted her to do something IMMEDIATELY!

So, I went in to Mac Keeper preferences, and disabled the "scan every day for updates" button, and also disabled it from appearing on the menu bar.

While we were chatting about this and that, YET ANOTHER pop up from Mac Keeper came up on the screen, again, wanting IMMEDIATE attention.

So, at her request, I took the Mac Keeper application (which apparently came with the used laptop), and I threw it in the trash.

Just a few moments ago, I got a call from her saying that Mac Keeper was still placing pop-up windows on her laptop.

So.......... I am JUST ABOUT to upgrade myself to 10.11, but.......... WOW........... seriously? I am a little spooked by this. Is this what I have to look forward to? Is this what Apple has done with 10.11? We have to suffer through endless pop up ads? I mean, I threw the damn software away and it's STILL coming back!!!!!!

Anyone? Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Thanks

No that is not Apple. It's MacKeeper the plague. Who ever she got the computer from downloaded it, it's malware. I would just put the computer into target mode and write 0's over the whole drive and install a new OS or just move her old OS onto the computer. Presuming that it will be able to utilize the older OS from her previous computer. The upgrade that OS.

Someone else might have a better idea, but that's my first thought.

Apple did not install MacKeeper.

Good advice to just delete the whole thing and reinstall. Start fresh with no MacKeeper. It is a chore to get rid of MacKeeper's little invasive scripts, it can be done, but if this is a new computer for this person, just start over if you can.

Otherwise, there are some pretty good websites out there with step by step instructions on how to rid yourself of the crud, clap or plague, or whatever we want to call MacKeeper today. all those names fit perfectly. A search and a review of a few of those sites will get you in the groove on the process. It is not THAT hard to do, you just have to know where everything is and what version of the disease you have.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah, seeing as how the upgrade was from a MacBookPro (model 1,1) running OS 10.6.8 to an MacBookAir running 10.11, probably the route ricks mentioned is the best way..... In the meantime, I told her not to click on it, and fortunately she is skeptical in nature, but really a novice user. Yeah, it was a used model..... A supposedly "Mac Only" store here in town...... I am starting to lose just a wee bit of respect for them. On the $99 laptop I got (one of the white MacBooks), it still had the old user account on there, meaning they never wiped the drive before installing the latest OS. Sigh. I thought people knew better by now.......

So....you can uninstall MacKeeper, but it is a specific process.

But, It is never bad to just reinstall a fresh OS, especially on a new-to-you machine.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin