Thread: 10.9 drives won't spin down...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default 10.9 drives won't spin down...

trending at Apple Forums 10.9 won't spin down drives when unmounting them.

This is what I just posted over there...

USB2 Mac mini with TB

I have a Thunderbolt drive and a FW800 drive externally and an SSD internal boot and an additional internal Seagate spinner.

My experience is that unmounting/ejecting several at once will not spin down the drives but they will spin down after the drives onboard inactivity spin down time is reached. If I unmount in the correct order most of them will spin down. Also mounting ANY drive will spin up ALL drives but not mount them. Only the one I chose to mount actually gets mounted. When unmounting the drives I must unmount the Thunderbolt drive last otherwise unmounting any other drive will spin up the thunderbolt drive but again not mount it. The FW800 drive will not spin down at all until it's onboard timer spins it down. Nothing I do will make it spin down any sooner other than writing a script to spin it down which I have not yet tried. (tomorrow.. I'm tired)

Also Temperature Monitor and other temp sensing apps will keep your drives spinning even when unmounted. For some reason Temperature Monitor comes default to poll hard drives for temp every three minutes effectively disabling any spindown timer or sleep function you may be trying to run
    Damien,

Fun....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I have noticed it is always much harder in Mavericks to get a drive to complete a dismount. Half the time they hang up and have to be forced.

I'll be looking for the spindown thing, now that you mention it.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have never had one hang that I know of but I have had some shutdowns that seemed longer than I thought they should be. Maybe that was the issue...
    Damien,

At least you can always do that thing with the eyes and make them stop ticking.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Even under the latest version of El Capitan, my OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure (purchased recently in Dec. 2015) with 1TB HDD inside will not sleep/spin-down when I put my iMac11,1 to sleep. It's connected to the Mac via FW800. Is there no third party app or trick to force external FW800 drives to spin-down automatically when the Mac sleeps?