Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prefs probs!

TextWrangler is nice for all sorts of things, including reading prefs.

PrefSetter if you want to dig deeper…

PlistEdit Pro to get serious.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    This is getting complicated!
    So which one(s) are you suggesting I poke around with or throw out?
    How about this:

1. Open System Preferences/Mouse (get it ready)

2. Rename the existing ~/Library/Preferences something like Preferences(old) and leave it unchanged (to preserve all the rest of the user preferences)

3. Keep the ~/Library window open, next to the System Prefs window.

4. Now make some changes to the Mouse settings, and select another system pref (to save the mouse settings)

5. Check the ~/Library to see if a new Preferences folder is there, and if so, what pref is in it? Should be related to the mouse change.

Not tried this yet, but I expect it to generate a new mouse pref. If it works, one could try the same for keyboard or anything else…..to remove all the hay from the haystack.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Pretty much did that already. The only difference was that I didn't create the new prefs folder.
    When I changed the mouse and keyboard prefs nothing changed in the existing one... odd, because if it wasn't going to accept the changes I could understand that, but the prefs only reverted on shutdown/startup.

Thanks for the other info. I'll not be going to see the customer again until the new year now, so for the moment I'll just see what I can find out and try it out on one of my macs here.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Hmm….well, now that you say that again, I wonder if it might have anything to do with temp/cache files, not the actual preference?

Looking, I see this: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

Dunno, but worth checking. If you can't actually test on the machine in question….hard to say.
    Last edited by unclemac; 12-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.

That's a possibility. I can make a phone call and talk him through trashing it. Worth a go tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.
    Thanks for all of your efforts on this awkward little puzzle.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

My motto: Learn by breaking.

Yeah, I do that as well!