Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prefs probs!

Default Prefs probs!

I've got a little problem to solve for one of my customers:
    Every time the Mac is started, his keyboard shortcuts and mouse direction preferences are lost. It's not a PRAM issue, it's a local one as it only affects his user. After upgrading from Lion to Mavericks the problem was still there.
    I've tried changing the prefs with his preference folder open so I can see any changes (set to last modified) when they happen, but nothing does change. Even doing the same thing on my Mac it doesn't register, and I don't have the problem.
    So... if it's a preference issue... where are the .plists to trash?

I thought I had some software to repair corrupted preferences but can't find it... any suggestions there?
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Is it a third party keyboard and mouse or an apple brand?
    Damien,

Apple wired KB & M, but it's highly unlikely to be a KB or mouse issue though as it only happens in his user, not in the others.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Users/name/Library/Preferences

Apple decided we don't need to see our user Library. Easiest way to make visible, imho, is to open a Terminal window and enter:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/
    Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick,
    That's not the problem. I know where the Library is - you can also hold down the Alt key when in the Go menu to show it. Or, as I have on my Macs, have hidden files showing al the time.
    The problem is identifying which .plist is responsible for holding those particular prefs so I can delete it.

I figured, but every time I ASSume I make an idjit out of myself. So I state what would be obvious (to you anyway). Thanks for not taking offense.

I wonder if there is any third party mouse driver or software installed?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Nothing at all installed. It's just weird that the prefs aren't being saved.
    That's why I tried to see what changed in my Mac as I thought something would show up in the prefs as being updated but nada. They have to be stored SOMEWHERE... don't they?

A good one. Darn newer computers.

I have noticed that every time I restart my computer my preferences in Messages revert to defaults. I hav not been able to get them to stick there either. So maybe something about this new operating system that is funky - go figure that, surprise surprise. Actually, I am never that much surprised at all the bugs in the first 6 months of an operating system's life. We are the beta testers! Yay team.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I have noticed that every time I restart my computer my preferences in Messages revert to defaults. I hav not been able to get them to stick there either. So maybe something about this new operating system that is funky - go figure that, surprise surprise. Actually, I am never that much surprised at all the bugs in the first 6 months of an operating system's life. We are the beta testers! Yay team.

R
    Hence my decision to stay at least a year behind the curve. Call me a luddite….

The constant notifications to upgrade are annoying at times, but not as annoying as the bugs that early adopters catch.

I don't think luddite is quite the right word, after all those who wait to see if the the oil coming from above is actually boiling, don't get burned.

I usually wait as well, and thanks to the team for doing all this testing, that some may survive without all those pesky irritants. I do believe there were times when OS upgrades were way more troublesome.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Should be: com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

And.......:com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist.lockfile

trash em both, change mouse settings, and see if they regenerate.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post

R
    It's not Mavericks that's the problem - the problem was already there running in Lion. I'm going to have a look at it again this morning and see if Drive Genius can find the twisted prefs file... knew I had some s/w that could work on prefs!

Nope. DG couldn't find a problem either. Tried dumping finder prefs, mouse driver and still nothing.
    Only thing remains is to either write a script that runs at login to revert the prefs or migrate him to a new user that doesn't have the same problems.

So, if you trash the apple mouse prefs, does it recreate them?

How about copying a set of prefs from a new test user?

How about:

~/Library/Preferences/Byhost/com.apple.HIToolbox.[machine ID number].plist

…and the associated lock file?

Looks promising:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>AppleCurrentKeyboardLayoutInputSourceID</key>
    <string>com.apple.keylayout.US</string>
    <key>AppleEnabledInputSources</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>InputSourceKind</key>
    <string>Keyboard Layout</string>
    <key>KeyboardLayout ID</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>KeyboardLayout Name</key>
    <string>U.S.</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <key>Bundle ID</key>
    <string>com.apple.PressAndHold</string>
    <string>Non Keyboard Input Method</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <key>Bundle ID</key>
    <string>com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
    <key>Bundle ID</key>
    <string>com.apple.KeyboardViewer</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    <key>AppleInputSourceHistory</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <string>U.S.</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    <key>AppleSelectedInputSources</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <string>U.S.</string>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

com.apple.HIToolbox.000a95b2e3ec.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.000a95dad6e0.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.000d9378e40e.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.001b63aa1bb7.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.001b63ab24af.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.001b63ab24af.plist.lockfile
    com.apple.HIToolbox.000393639f3a.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.C5B62B07-52EA-5610-935B-79EFD8A14A46.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.E34FA263-9ED0-54C0-A779-7579583ECBBA.plist

Loads of them in my ByHost folder... funny that, never had cause to go in there before. Looks like a few of these are legacies as the only one with a 2013 date on it is the one highlighted above.
    Shame there's nothing obvious to do with scroll direction or function keys!

Every time you clone an OS or migrate a system, you will get new, unique byhost files. The old ones (from previous hardware) are useless……just cruft that builds up.

Just tested mine, and changing language and keyboard shortcuts updates this pref.

Hmmm….what be this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>aslScrollingPrefVersion</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>

com.apple.adminframework.plist

Talking

This is getting complicated!
    So which one(s) are you suggesting I poke around with or throw out?

How did you get to see the strings?
    I tried to open the plist with textedit and there was nothing much in it.