Thread: Good morning, Rick. Update on my self ejecting drives.

Default Good morning, Rick. Update on my self ejecting drives.

I reported, in a mavericks thread, a few days ago about drives in my top two bays of a five bay burly ejecting by themselves.

I did make sure it wasn't a bad drive or two. The problem got worse yesterday. Drives ejecting, freezing, and freezing up my computer. So, last night I shut down the computer, the burly, and went to sleep.

This morning I started up the macbook pro. I re-installed the 1.2.6 driver. I then took the burly cover off. Detached all the plugs for the top two bays. Blew them out with canned air. Put it all back together.

I put all five drives back in the burly and attached to computer. So far, about seven hours of continuous use and no problems. I've put the computer to sleep a handful of times and it wakes and all the drives are there.

Fingers crossed. Not sure what I did that helped but so far so good. I'll write if the disks start ejecting themselves again. Thanks for your help/ear Rick.

M
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Good deal. Keep on keepin on.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default an update

48 hours in my top two drives ejected themselves again...so, i went looking for another solution...

cleaned out font cache amongst other things, but nothing worked...last few days the disks keep going off line...

then, i checked one of my drives again, a 750gb seagate i use as a scratch drive for photoshop...did a 'verify disk' via disk utility and it said it was fine as it has for all my drives...

then i hit 'repair disk' and at the end, after it says the drive appears to be ok I got this line..."updating boot support partitions for the volume as required"...

hmmm, so i did a 'repair' on all my drives...

well, about 48 hours later and the drives are stable...again, fingers crossed...i wonder if this will solve my problem...wonder if apple screwed with something in the esata connections in 10.8 and fixes it this way?...so many questions, my boots are full of them...
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

I would believe it.

Have seen that with USB 3 a couple times. Repairing drives made them stable after changing something had them unstable.

fingers crossed.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin