Thread: MacPro video Made in America

Default MacPro video Made in America

Hi All,

Saw this and thought you might be interested in viewing it. It's a short video of the MacPro assembly line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNJvPlOLaI

regards,
    MsNikon

That is truly cool. Thanks!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default MacPro video Made in America

Hi Rick,

I'm still weighing the iMac vs MacPro question; this video creates desire on the MacPro side of the issue

Cheers!
    MsNikon

Soon as the new MacPro ships I wil have one for testing (ouch, min $3k just to test stuff)

Pro going for the MacPro is it has HUGE graphics and even huger IO capabilities.

Con for the MacPro is you gotta figure out how to adapt everything you owned previously to it, and that ain't gonna be cheap. Now we have to add in external drives for everything from an OS backup to both data and backups for data. Any of our Firewire stuff will need to be converted or adapted.

All in all I am looking forward to having a new MacPro to work with.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Soon as the new MacPro ships I wil have one for testing (ouch, min $3k just to test stuff)

Con for the MacPro is you gotta figure out how to adapt everything you owned previously to it, and that ain't gonna be cheap. Now we have to add in external drives for everything from an OS backup to both data and backups for data. Any of our Firewire stuff will need to be converted or adapted.

Rick
    This is what is causing me to consider an iMac: It's the cost/benefit ratio of having a MacPro now that we have to factor in the substantial cost of everything else.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts once the MacPro ships and the outcome of your testing!!!

Cheers,
    MsNikon

The new iMac's are all TB and USB3 no more FW. Not sure how that will affect you current ststem.

Some software might need upgraded also.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    The new iMac's are all TB and USB3 no more FW. Not sure how that will affect you current ststem.

Some software might need upgraded also.
    I have all USB2 & a FW800 Burly (which has lived up to all my needs and expectations). This upgrade is going to be a costly one, I've been struggling with my 2009 iMac and large Nikon D800 files for almost 2 years now. I prefer beachballs at the beach and not on my computer

My photographic software is up to date, but upon reading your post...I took a closer look at what I do rely on and realized there will be additional upgrades needed. Thanks for pointing that out!

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon photographing; which is my hobby, but which has actually proven to be a "life-saver" over the decades. Importing 1000 or so Nikon D800 36+ MP files made me aware (once again) that it is not just the processing time involved in working on an image, but the nuts and bolts of importing and Lightroom's building of preview files etc, etc.

I'm going to put the computer buying decision on pause and really look at the cost difference between the 2 systems. This will be a substantial outlay no matter which way I go; but I am so very tired of waiting as I do almost anything photographically on the computer. As I get older (and slower due to an impact to the head in a car accident), I am seeing that time means something different now; to a degree time is more valuable. With that perspective, time waiting for images to be processed becomes more of a loss than it was 5 years ago. One image: no big deal. A few hundred and it is now a big deal.

Thanks to everyone here (and particularly Rick!!!) for providing the fabulous assistance (and hardware!) so I can just "be a photographer" without suffering with respect to the computer and hardware stuff. The bad hardware decisions have "left the building" since finding MacGurus.

Cheers!
    MsNikon

Don't forget there is a handy TB to FW adapter, so though I would prefer to still have a true FW port or two, not a show stopper.

Awesome that it is made in the USA. I hope it goes, well, and they bring back the Mini next.

Gonna be hard for most folks to truly justify needing this much raw computer power. I am working on itů..
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Don't forget there is a handy TB to FW adapter, so though I would prefer to still have a true FW port or two, not a show stopper.
    A TB to FW adapter can be added to my list without pausing to think :-)

Cheers!

I use a TB to FW adapter on my Burly without issues. FW speeds via TB.