Thread: Bad buy

Default Bad buy

BestBuy gave me some "reward" bucks, and I'd seen the Manhattan "Mondo Hub" 28 port (4 USB3 - 24 USB2) USB hub, so I bought it. It cost me $15 when it was all done.
    NOT a good choice.
    It regularly "drops" off the USB bus. I lost my keyboards (both) and Flash Drives several time an hour. The ONLY thing it wouldn't drop was my webcam.
    I went back to my Belkin 7 port.
    I CANNOT recommend this hub to anyone.

This on a USB 3 port on a Mac?

Could just be Apple's TERRIBLE USB 3.0 bus. Worse bus on any planet.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default RE: Bad buy

From what I've been given to know by the guys at Apple, the first port (leftmost) is the ONLY "true" USB3 of the four on a late 2012 Mini. (this is a 2011 Mini pictured - they were still all USB2)

THAT ONE is reserved for my Time Machine and Storage HD.
    As far as I know I was using one of the USB2 ports.
    I switched it between all three of the rightmost ports with the same results.
    Plugged it into my Toshiba laptop... same thing.
    This is just a bad hub.

While USB is cheap, it is also CHEAP.

I went through 4 or 5 four port USB 3 hubs before I found one that only screwed up in a predictable manner instead of the trash that was different every time I tested it. (I hate unpredictable!!!)

Anyway, no surprise that a mega port monster would suck more than a lesser hub. More USB = more suckiness.

sorry I am so bitter. USB 3 has been a bad year for me.
    Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I tend to join to the opinion that hubs with big amount of ports usually don't work well in comparison with the ones that have less ports.
    http://www.muranosoft.com/ offers professional software and web application development.