Thread: Can't Install Lion

Default Can't Install Lion

I have a 5 1/2 year old Mac Pro that is running Snow Leopard.
    I want to install Lion but I can't because my boot drive has to have a GUID partition table according to the installer software. My boot drive has an Apple partition Map. What do I need to do to change to GUID partition table?

I have bootable duplicate backups of my boot drive. I used Super Duper to create the backups.

Under partition in Disk Utility the options drop down window is grayed out under the diagram of the partition.

Thanks in advance
    John

Hi John,

You will have to reformat the drive. And to change the table type you have to use the Partition section in Disk Utility. Choose 1 Partition, then in options you can choose GUID partition map.

Note - this erases all your data. So start with a backup.

Rick
    Last edited by ricks; 10-25-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Howdy -

This is a good time to consider a new HD too. You could leave your HD as is now, install a new one, and start fresh. After 4 or so years, it would be wise to replace it. HDs are cheap, and current models are much faster than vintage units, giving a nice performance bump.

Easy in a Mac Pro, no reason not to.

Can still use the old HD for storage or backups too!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rick
    Thank you for your help.Mission accomplished
    John

Unclemac
    Thanks for the advice. I have replaced my hard drives and use the older drives
    as backups.
    John