Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mavericks (10/22/2013)

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Mac OS has a newish feature that will quit any open app that has not been used for a while. This might be your Snaps Pro problem.

I think I saw a setting where you can turn that off but can't find it now
    Damien,

Default Interesting...

I don't have much to screw up but I'll wait a while if it's going to be free a while.

I'm seeing lags and a grey screen when I log out. I also had some issues with Safari hangs, and unresponsive dialog boxes on my Mac Mini. I set up a dual boot using a firewire drive on my iMac and it hung on a grey screen when I tried to boot back to SL from Mavericks. I had to do a hard restart but everything seems fine now. I hope thats not going to happen every time I do that tho.

I like the features that Damien pointed out - menu bar and dock in either screen is nice. Broke my scanner. No software for it from Epson, which usually means you aren't going to get it later. Been there many a time. Now I have to decide soon whether it is worth the trade off, probably not as there are no boosts to capabilities that I just gotta have. So I will probably drop back to ML, at least until the new MacPro ships.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default TM no worky - no good

So, I "scrubbed" my TM drive and started a new TM with the install of 10.9.
    Since then I've "seen" it backing up regularly, and the backups appear in the HD when I open it.
    But...
    When I open the Time Machine app, I only see the ONE current backup. There are NO OTHERS.
    Submitted a bug report to Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I like the features that Damien pointed out - menu bar and dock in either screen is nice. Broke my scanner. No software for it from Epson, which usually means you aren't going to get it later. Been there many a time. Now I have to decide soon whether it is worth the trade off, probably not as there are no boosts to capabilities that I just gotta have. So I will probably drop back to ML, at least until the new MacPro ships.

Rick
    Epson said they will have Mavericks drivers on Nov 5.

Won't get me to use TM. I did extensive testing and broke every backup I ever did using Time Machine. Don't like having it make a dat base that all too often cannot be recovered from. And found it extremely difficult to prove the veracity of backups using Time Machine.

I use ChronoSync or SyncProX. Cloning software. Don't really need an incremental.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Cool

Have messed around with Mavericks for a few days. So far, everything that worked on MtLion, works here too. That includes all three printers, scansnap scanner, VMfusion, even the eSATA connection to burly with Silicon Image driver. Some utilities (LittleSnitch, Cocktail) had to be updated. And finally Java 7 works with Safari and Firefox.

One curious problem which may be transient: Safari wanted to start in WIFI, not Ethernet. So, it showed no connection to internet. I had to destroy WIFI, and then Safari started with message for me to check my network connections. Didn’t have to after a while, as it reset itself to Ethernet after a few seconds. As if WIFI is the default Safari connection to internet and it needs “training” to accept wires.

A few things are better for me with Mavericks. First, they have a new monitor resolution setting which is perfect for my eyes: 1400x1050; never seen this before with any other computer. Second, all the icons are as pretty as in Snow Leopard without using any eye candy software.

So, since I don’t like either Mt.Lion or Mavericks (mainly because neither has Rosetta, and thus many of my daily apps are dead meat), I will stay with Mavericks as less evil of the two evils. My daily work will continue on the HD with SnowLeopard loaded with my goodies. Mavericks is just to play around and keep up with the news in Apple world.

Like Rick, I never used TM. And never will. Routine back ups with SyncPro work great for me. (PS: Thanks Rick for the recommendation to try 1.2.6 to replace Silicon Image; will try it).

The boot times? Well….. talked with Apple and will write about it in another thread; interesting one hour conversation with the “genius”.

marrand

I'm lazy Rick. I use Preview for scanners since 10.7. Works fine, simple, consistent. Not all the tweaks one gets with the custom software.....but I never used it anyway. Color correction? I'm colorblind. Pointless.

For serious tweaking, I recommend VueScan, so no worries about models, updates, differences between model/brand software.

Had a user today with a machine stuck between old OS and 10.9. Hangs, then restarts....endless loop. No backups. Ever. Fun.

May have to manually scavenge user data, erase, and start over.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default on silicon image drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Something to try with the 3132 2 port Silicon Image cards is the 1.2.6 driver.

Rick
    Hi Rick...I've been using sil3132 1.2.5.0 driver with my lycom 34 express to burly esata 5 bay...would you suggest the 1.2.6 for me too?...I'm still on 10.8.5 with a macbook pro. I think I'll wait a few weeks before I try mavericks. I'm afraid.

I'm asking because I've got two bays that occasionally eject the disks by themselves. My top two bays. I get the message, "the disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off." Wonder if the 1.2.6 driver might solve my ejecting disk problem. I also suspect it's just apple's 10.8.5 but i'm not sure.

Sometimes the hard drives just spin back up without me doing anything. Sometimes I put the computer to sleep and they reappear when I wake the computer. I did try swapping disks, trays. It's always the top two bays. And I just did a thorough cleaning. Still happens.

Anyway. Good luck to you/us all with 10.9. I like to wait a while before I upgrade my system. Verify the main things I use will work with it, like my external hard drives where I keep all my work and backup.

kind regards...

Morris
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

I would. That said, I personally haven't tested it yet. But 1.2.6 was the only one that worked in Mtn Lion. I would not expect 1.2.5 to work right in Mav.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Unclemac,

I can't find anything related to 'Preview' and scanning. What/where?

Thanks

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I use the apple app Image Capture to scan. Didn't think preview was able to do anything but look at pics
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I use the apple app Image Capture to scan. Didn't think preview was able to do anything but look at pics
    Image Capture or Preview work for my new PIXMA 9200. The Canon software it came with doesn't, but it didn't under Mt.Lion, so it's no big loss.
    PS CS5 and CS6 now use 64 bit scan plugins, and they too, work with it.

I discovered what the TM problem was. I had to manually delete the 1Tb drive from the list, reformat it and manually add it back as my TM drive. I have about fourteen backups in it now. Turns out it was my own dumb mistake.

Preview worked. Whatdayaknow. Neer even crossed my little mind.

Thanks.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Yeah, the hardest part is finding it.

A couple ways.

1:

- Open Preview (keep it on the dock)
    - It doesn't open a window or document….just go to the Preview Toolbar
    - File, -> Import from Scanner -> [scanner name] (scanner has to be on and plugged in)

2:

- Add scanner in System Preferences -> Print & Scan
    - Click on the Open Scanner…. button
    - When the scanner opens (default is with Open Image Capture, but can choose Preview too), save it to your dock.

Boom, Bob's ur uncle!

Looks like the Image Capture engine has a front end in Preview…..essentially the same thing either way.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Updated my work 2009 MBP today, from 10.7.5 to 10.9. No issues so far. All the software works so far…but more testing to do.

DiskWarrior, Drive Genius, and Speed Tools (all about a year old) all seem to work fine on the now 10.9 OS, ran from a USB external booted to 10.8.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOnline View Post
    Image Capture or Preview work for my new PIXMA 9200. The Canon software it came with doesn't, but it didn't under Mt.Lion, so it's no big loss.
    PS CS5 and CS6 now use 64 bit scan plugins, and they too, work with it.

I discovered what the TM problem was. I had to manually delete the 1Tb drive from the list, reformat it and manually add it back as my TM drive. I have about fourteen backups in it now. Turns out it was my own dumb mistake.
    Your mistake? Maybe. …But dumb? No. We should not have to remove a volume from Time Machine, erase the drive and start over fresh to get it to work. My biggest single complaint with it is this……

Bad bad bad….that one has to erase all their history to continue backing up. Erase all backups to back up again…. If Apple would fix this, I could recommend it as viable single option. With this problem, it is better than no backup for sure, but not as solid as backups should be.

I just had to erase my TM again. I think I've retrived 2 or 3 older and small documents since it's been out... and I was thankful for that. But I want and need a bootable clone.

I keep switching back and forth from SyncProX to Chronosync. Problem with each is they are choking on folders that belong too root. DS.store, .trashes and so on. Stupid, they should ignore those. ut each chokes at different times for different reasons and when I try the other it succeeds. I'll get down to the reasons, but it sure takes some work on the details.

I would still say that either is much better option than TM.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin