Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mavericks (10/22/2013)

Default Mavericks (10/22/2013)

Yes. You read that right.
    Apple is GIVING AWAY their newest OS - TODAY ONLY!!!!![Update: Free forever]
    As long as you have a compatible Mac and you download it today, October 22, 2013.... You PAY NOTHING for OS 10.9 "Mavericks".

http://www.apple.com/osx/
    Last edited by unclemac; 10-22-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Default First impression

It took 18 minutes to download, a little less than an hour and a half to install.

My Mini boots about 30 seconds faster than it did with Mt. Lion.

All apps (so far) running just fine.

Good stuff:
    "Spaces" has been modified - I run two monitors and NOW you can have your menu bar on BOTH. That's handy with apps like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Audition where I'm using menu commands a lot. No more "jumping back and forth between displays.

Not so good stuff: I dumped my Time Machine (not that it had anything I don't still have on my HDD) and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to "behave" like I expect.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I now have a menu bar on each screen and each and can show a different app.

But WAAAAAAAAA!!!! Apple HOW COULD YOU DESTROY MY LIFE LIKE THIS!! The Applescripts that I wrote back around 10.3 don't work right. I'm gonna SUE!

(okay maybe not...)
    Damien,

Why do all my colors seem so much brighter and everything so much more defined?

This thing look fabulous
    Damien,

Even the dock hops back and forth from screen to screen in a very helpful way

If my front most app is on the TB screen then the dock will be there on the TB screen whenever I need it. My iTunes window is on my second screen and if I click that window iTunes becomes the frontmost app but on the second screen and the dock is there. Took me a minute to figure out what was causing the dock to change like that

I am loving the updated multiscreen features
    Damien,

Sounds like fun. I am at the ambulance barn today with only my laptop. But maybe tonight I can run it onto my MacPro and give a whirl to the next phase of Appledom.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default What else I learned...

Mavericks is free... as long as people want it!
    Apple is not charging for this OS for ANYONE who has a suitable machine for it.
    Also, iLife upgrades are free for a limited time (GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie) [Update: Free forever - iLife and iWork updates]
    Last edited by unclemac; 10-22-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarity

Confused

I rushed to get my free upgrade because I thought I can get it free only today. Now I see Apple is giving it away to anyone, anytime.

Installed and just looked at it. Two of my little apps have been rejected into incompatible folder. And now I will need Silicon Image Driver for the eSATA burly. Ricks….help!!!!

Another question: can I go back to Mountain Lion if I want to later? If so, how? In the meantime I will spend a few days messing around with it.

(Good thing my main work HD is SnowLeopard and will remain so).

Lightbulb

So, to all reading this, let's recite the MacGurus's creed:

• I will always make at least one bootable clone of my OS, so I can always roll back, before I upgrade.
    • I will always wait a few days to see how things shake out, or I will make more than one backup, before I upgrade.
    • I will always test my bootable clone before I upgrade.
    • I will always look to see if my supported, less common hardware (eSATA, iSCSI, SAS, PCI anything, etc.) is supported, before I upgrade.
    • I will always have a secondary data backup of all the parts that cannot be easily downgraded, such as Mail and iPhoto Libraries, before I upgrade.
    • I will always leave burnt offerings—preferably something with a Dell label on it—to appease the upgrade gods, before I upgrade.

Seriously.....backup first Mac people. Clones make for happy upgrades. And downgrades.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hallelujah Rev. Unclemac!!!

We are of the same belief and know that the truly righteous Mac Users EVERYWHERE, will back up and make a bootable copy of their OS. So is says in the Mac Bible, I believe.
    Amen!

Where is that incense?

I'm gonna wait until I find the incense, then upgrade. No, first backup, then find incense, then upgrade.

Default Re: "Rev. UncleMac"

The esteemed Rev. is right.
    Like a good guru, I had my Time Machine and my handy-dandy 8Gb Flash Drive with bootable Mt.Lion installer on it "just in case"....
    Luckily, I didn't need either.

After going through my Creative Suites, Office, iLife and iWork to make sure everything was "hunky dory", I erased my TM and freshly backed up Mavericks on it.

I remember when I moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard and I got 7Gb of HD space back. SAME THING happened today, only more so. I got nearly ten gigs of "new space", which I promptly filled up a fourth of with Updates for iLife, iWork, Office, and a few other apps.

Happy to report ALL my hardware is running as before, and this thing boots about 20 seconds faster than it did with 10.8.

I did however, have a load of custom app icons, that I'll have to re-do, but hey... that's nothing I'm not used to already.

I am updating a MacPro as I post this on a MBP. One hope is that Silicon Image drivers work in Mavericks. No way I would know that until my install completes. (did the download last night)

I actually did everything in the holy Mac user upgrade commandments. Spent hours making multiple backups. I didn't have a Dell around to melt in an electrical fire, but I did burn a Windows XP disk in effigy. So hopefully that is all good with the great Jobs in the sky..

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Appears that the Silicon Image 3124 4 port drivers works ok in 10.9. That is just first blush because things can pop up that we don't see in a basic 'does it work' test.

(note: I edited the title since the 'free' is permanent)

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

marrand,

I don't know if the Silicon Image 3132 driver works yet or not. I don't have one in my MacPro at the moment. You can try reinstalling. And I will check around, we might find a Mavericks tested driver at Sonnet for it as well.

My MacPro all of a sudden had a meltdown just now. Half the keys on the keyboard went dead. Working to fix that now.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Something to try with the 3132 2 port Silicon Image cards is the 1.2.6 driver.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Cool

Rick,
    Came back from long day shopping. Was thinking. So what if Mavericks didn't like that Silicon Image driver; similar event happened before during an upgrade, and I just reinstalled it.
    So, I reinstalled SiI3132_1-1.2.5.0_Sil_Pkg, the ktext extension is there and eSATA burly works perfect.
    Then I read your post. Seems you were doing the same thing. But good thing I didn't read unclemac's regulations before installing Mavericks or else I would be getting ready for this event for weeks to come. Now it is done.
    The two rejected apps were restored and working.
    The boot time is still long, perhaps even a bit longer.
    And I lost the Java plugin completely. I use Java almost every day with a particular site, and now must find ways to get Java back.Sure, I can install 7, but chrome doesn't work with 7, and chrome is the main browser I use for that site (and for that site only).
    Well, back to tinkering.
    PS: without any evidence or inspiration from above, at the moment I suspect the video card in my new MacPro. We shall see.
    marrand

I would think the 1.2.6 would be a better choice. Been using that driver as the better Mtn Lion driver for a year. It is probably more reliable than the older one in 10.9.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Mavericks

Ran into my first glitch today.
    After updating:
    iLife
    iWork
    Office 2011
    ALL Adobe apps (CS5.5 and CS6)
    All Browsers
    Java

I finally got around to checking on my VMs.
    Parallels 7 wouldn't launch because "virtualization" wasn't enabled. I went to enable it, and I was informed that I NEEDED to upgrade to Parallels 9. Luckily, I was able to do that for $49 instead of $199.

Next I discovered that SnapzPro X (which is VITAL to my troubleshoots in the Adobe forums) no longer stays open. I haven't figured out why, but I can capture as much as I need with it, and it works fine. If I wait a few minutes and try to open it again, it refuses to "call up" from the keyboard shortcut, and I have to reopen it.

All in all, I can live with that one remaining glitch. I've considered going to Ambrosia to see if they have an update, but... After I paid them nearly $200 for Snapz and WireTap Studio a few years back. they REFUSED to even answer my emails to recover my serial numbers to install on my Mini, so (shhhh) I "cracked" the .plist files so they run without a serial number. The downside is: I can't update because the server says I have no product installed, and I really don't want to pay these yahoos another $200 for software I bought in 2009.

Not surprised about Parallels. That has been their method for since about version 3 or so. New Mac OS = New Parallels. I seriously wonder if their software simply validates the host OS version, and blocks it from running to prompt sales.

Will also wonder about other VMs (VMware, VirtualBox, etc.), plus BootCamp machines, and guest OS support.

Heard a blurb elsewhere about a mushroom cloud slowly wafting up over HP printer drivers. Beware the pain of updated CUPS!

Depending on features you need, there are lots of other capture tools cheaper than Snapz too…..if you gotta update/upgrade.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Re: Snapz

Unfortunately, I need the tools Snapz has. It does video capture better than anything else I've tried, and I can "toggle between capturing and prepping for the next without having to close it. Tried Snagit and was unable to get that to work on the Mac... Windows, yes. but not OS X.

I found a manual updater for it at Ambrosia's website and installed it, and it seems to be "sticking around" after a capture session now, so that glitch may be solved too.

There are literally HUNDREDS of people in the Apple forums who have had ALL SORTS of problems, from losing BlueTooth or Wi-fi (or both), to no USB, to complete system crashes.

It's almost funny to read the people wanting to know if they can install 10.9 on their G4 Mac Pro. There was even one yesterday wanting to know if he could put Mavericks on a Dell Inspiron laptop...