Thread: External HD Image Disappears

Question External HD Image Disappears

After Digital Camera RAW Compatibility update 2 days ago my Western Digital USB HD disk image disappear when iMac screen saver activates and I get a message that the HD was improperly closed. I backed up the HD and erased date because I got a message that the disk was read only. Everything OK last night; now same thing. "Improperly closed" "read only". (Time for new HD)

I don't think it sounds like a hard drive to me. But I'm going to leave the troubleshooting to others for now.

Here's a few Apple threads on same topic .... don't know if or how helpful the suggestions will be... worth reading or trying.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

The problem is, frankly, Apple USB 3 sucks. Really bad.

One possible fix is to use "Keep Drive Spinning" That will keep the drive up and running by touching it once every 30 seconds or so.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I had this happen only once and I don't have USB 3 or any USB drives at all. It happened to my Thunderbolt drive. I ran a repair and permission verify and both came back with a clean bill of health

I don't use a screensaver but I do make my screens sleep from time to time. It happened of waking from sleep.

Never thought of it again as it hasn't happened anymore.

Sorry I can't be more help
    Damien,

Cool Keep Drive Spinning

Downloaded Keep Drive Spinning after reading all the "frustrations" in the apple discussions and other googled forums. Decided couldn't hurt. Going into third day now and no more problems. No changes to System preferences made.

Thanks to All.............I find it interesting that something NEW has been an issue for so long without Cupertino having a fix. Thanks to Ricks suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    ...I find it interesting that something NEW has been an issue for so long without Cupertino having a fix. Thanks to Ricks suggestion.
    I'm not surprised. They're too busy working on iPhones for people to fight over in front of the stores on release day.

Default True

Laughably correct!
    Though lacking in areas, I still appreciate a community where I am able to obtain answers without language barriers and 3 levels of scripted support. At work I constantly contend with errors messages from "That OTHER OS" that no one can tell me what they mean including programmers who insist I need update (000000.00) that has already been installed and the error started after that update.
    (Venting concluded: everyone have a good week and be careful)

Looky here:

Apple is at work on a "Supplemental Update" for OS X 10.8.5, a source says. The patch has reportedly already been seeded to Apple employees, and should reach the public in the next few days. It's expected to cope with several glitches in Mountain Lion, including apps failing to utilize the FaceTime HD camera on the 2013 MacBook Air, and external drives being ejected after a Mac goes to sleep.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rolleyes Timing is great!!

Did 10.8.5update over weekend. will be watching for the supplemental.

In a perfect world............

Thanks for the word on the update. I will be testing it soonest.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Confused 10.8.5 Supplemental Update

Downloaded and installed. On shutdown of restart got message that my External Drive was no properly ejected (Put away). On restart Drive won't mount. Moved to my MacBook and iBook G4; won't mount there either. It had been staying mounted with "keep drive spinning" since downloaded almost a month ago. So confident ALL was Well that I just moved all the files back to IT last weekend and deleted the back up folder I created on my iMac. Maybe by some miracle I can get it to mount and get my data again. Seems there's more to the "shutdown" than evident.

In the mean time I will just back my Finance from Quicked up from the iMac to the MacBook and a flash drive. (My wife always asking "why do you do so many back ups?") But we have been married for over 40 years, and she thinks I am trained, I think I will just keep "This is Why" to myself.

Good Night all!!

Hmmmm.....thanks for the update.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Just Maybe

Just maybe as a precaution maybe Ext HD should be ejected before starting download just like quitting all open applications?????

Anyone know how I could check the Power Source on the MY BOOK WD drive?

Yes thanks,

I've got FW drives as nightly backups and have not yet installed 10.8.5 I'll be sure to unmount/eject all external drives before my install.

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    Just maybe as a precaution maybe Ext HD should be ejected before starting download just like quitting all open applications?????

Anyone know how I could check the Power Source on the MY BOOK WD drive?
    The brick? I would think multi-meter could confirm volts and amps are right...or not.

Internal board.....would have to test power to the SATA power cable....if it has one. Some new externals don't. Weird, and hard(er) to test power with.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    I'll be sure to unmount/eject all external drives before my install.
    Could you explain why it's so important? Thanks.

Question Just a precautious Hunch

Although I have done updates for years without disconnecting my external drives, In my case I feel the hard drive connection was terminated by the OS restarting. All the EXT HDs I have owned advise ejecting the disk image prior to disconnecting the cable to them from the computer. Updates caution to quit all applications before an update. I am not sure that I am correct in my observation, however, if sharing my experience keeps someone else from losing a HD the few seconds it takes to eject the disc image of the HD before starting the update would be time well spent.

Thanks you for asking.