Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G5 dead? power button flashes 3 times

Default ugh

to be honest, I don't know what a MOBO is.....

I could use an external bootable drive but.... how do I get this thing to try to boot from an external drive ? I can't even get it to boot from DVD....

the only led that is lit is a single red LED just below and left of the first 4 rows of ram, right above the power button

mobo = motherboard. The main board that everything RAM, Cards, processor all plug into.

expensive to replace.

Logic Board = LB = Mother Board = MB = MoBo...........all the a same thing.

PCs can have a cheap replacement sometimes, depending on model. Mac Logic Boards only come from Apple, and are prohibitively expensive to replace. Cheaper usually to buy a working similar model used machine....assuming you still want a G5.

If it is a bigger hardware issue, it could be a good time to move up to a new(er) Mac, unless you really need to run PPC software.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

If you cannot get a PowerPC Mac to boot to Open Firmware window, then there is no reason to try an external drive. (Open Firmware is booted too by holding the Command+Option+O+F keys while booting - type in 'reset-all' to restart out of Open Firmware.)

If you cannot get it to chime, then I would say that a piece of hardware is bad. Again, no reason to try an external drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default I'm baaaaaack

I'm trying to pull the CPU's but to no avail..... there are on;y 6 screws holding them down that I can see..... all 6 screws around the outside are out but they won't release.... am I missing a step ????

It has been soooo long since I pulled the CPUs out of a G5. I will have to see if I can find the guides for it. I have them here somewhere. I will look around and see what I can find.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default thanks

I've searched all over the web with no results.... I just can't figure out how these are seated.... anything you find will sure help.... thx

I emailed you the service manual for the early G5. To your Yahoo account.

Here's a link to the Late model Quad Core Service Manual

This guide shows removing the processors before removing the power supply.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin