Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G5 dead? power button flashes 3 times

Default G5 dead? power button flashes 3 times

Hello Everyone.
    I have G5 2 ghz dual core tower. I was running disc utility and when I came back to check the machine, my Apple Studio display was black and the power button was flashing 3 times about every 3 seconds. I noticed the power button on the tower was also flashing the same way. I re-booted - same thing. Unplugged for 24 hours, hit the reset button on the logic board, plugged in and rebooted..... same thing...machine powers up, fans come on and then nothing, still 3 flashes on the power buttons. This is my first G5 and I have never had trouble until now. I'm not sure what the 3 flashes means.... anyone ?

Thanks as always...

The zap the pram and such might bail you out if you can't figure it out. Reset RAM, PCI Cards, pull power... try again

or....

Zap the PRAM. On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and keep holding them for about 3-4 more "bongs/chimes".

Apple info ideas=

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

Default Also Voodoo greentree fix - 2 versions

Guru Greentree fix

- remove the CPU
    - press the CUDA for 30 seconds or so
    - remove the PRAM battery!
    - unplug the power cable
    - press the power button to discharge any left over power (this might not actually be necessary)
    - let it sit with no PRAM battery for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long... probably an hour is good, but if you're patient, you∂ can leave it overnight.
    then put everything back together and try the upgrade again.

------Another-------

Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up. Good luck

------Another-------
    So, these would be the steps:

1 power off, leave plugged in
    2 remove all ram
    3 remove all cables, including power
    4 press mobo reset button (PMU reset)
    5 press power button (still with no cables plugged in)
    6 plug in power, press power button (you should get the no ram indicator - 3 beeps)
    5 Power down and reinsert ram
    7 plug in power, power on

thanks for the quick reply. I tried to zap the pram but no chime at all.... same thing. I will do all the other steps when I get home..... I will report back tomorrow.... thanks again everyone....

Here's the Apple diagnostic code chart for the G5.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652

Place to start.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

3 beeps means it does not like the RAM (listed on the link that Rick provided).

Pull and reseat RAM; swap out and test each pair if you have more than 2 sticks installed. Verify the proper RAM installation for your Model (varies....)

If you can't get any of your RAM to work.....need to scrounge/borrow/buy some more to test.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Be great if RAM is the problem. The Dual Core G5's biggest problem is the water cooling. Eventually, every time, especially when left to sit for a bit, when it heats up it leaks and kills stuff. Can be had to see, but that is the death of a Dual Core G5.

The best way to extend the longevity of a water cooled computer is to never shut it down. Maintaining a stable temperature for years at a time will keep the hoses from shrinking and expanding over and over until it leaks.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

3 beeps means it does not like the RAM (listed on the link that Rick provided).
    He's got 3 flashes on the power button. No mention of beeps?

This model flashes the lights.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

Got it good to know. It makes sense and that was my first thought. the beep vs flashing light confused my thoughts.

Sorry, yes, good to clear up. IIRC, most of the G4s would beep and flash their power light. The sequence is the important thing; 3 has been "no good ram found", since.....Blue and White G3s. Maybe older than that.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default still no luck

ok.....24+ hours later..... I did everything listed below BUT the firmware reset.....I reassembled and turned it on.... it did fire up and gave it's opening chime, start up screen came on but the spinning disc just froze...... I let it set for about 5 minutes and it stayed frozen.....I turned it off.... unplugged... waited an hour.....plugged back in and turned on.... right back to square one ! nothing but 3 lights flashing......

so now, I will try removing the ram and replacing with a spare 512mb stick I have laying around..... I'll let everyone know my status as I keep working ....

BTW- I read about the liquid situation.... I keep this mac turned on all the time but I DO put it to sleep when not in use.....

Default ....more

(thanks for the link to the diagnosis codes)

I unplugged the power, pulled all the ram and reset cuda...plugged back in and turned machine on .... the power button flashes once every 5 seconds.... (this isn't listed in the codes) also, the #8 LED is the only one on and the codes say nothing about the #8 LED......

any more suggestions ?

When it chimes and them stops you need to suspect hard drive. Try starting up to your OS installer DVD or Hardware Test CD.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

IIRC, the start up chime signals passing POST, so yes, basic hardware check was successful: RAM was found, among other things.

I have seen some other things prevent a full boot, but agreed that next step would be trying a different boot system/OS. You might unplug the SATA cable on the the current HD so the system cannot during your test too, to simplify things.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Ya know… I had 2 different Macs that would do this back in the day and all they needed was a new motherboard battery. These were way older than your G5 but your G5 is old enough that it can't hurt to replace the battery. I would be quite shocked if this cured your issue but you never know. Stranger things have happened.
    Damien,

Default i'm gonna cry soon....

I have done everything described below and still nothing. here is what was done today:

this thing has been sitting with everything unplugged for 4 days and had everything removed including hard drive battery ram and all cards

installed new battery (only) - turned on & nothing: except this time the power button flashes once, pauses, flashes once, pauses,.......turned off & unplugged for 1/2 hour

turned on and tried the startup manager holding Option while booting- nothing/ ditto above.... turned off & unplugged for 1/2 hour

installed OSX DVD and tried to power up using drive. nothing- ditto above

put in brand new stick of ram- turned on / nothing- ditto above

installed HD, powered up - still nothing / power button flashes once, pauses, flashes once, pauses,

installed OSX DVD and tried to power up using drive with HD and ram plugged in. nothing- ditto above

turned off for the last time and thought about crying.....

Also, per Rick's link- none of the LEDs by the ram are on. and I guess that's a good thing. BUT- when this issue first started and I opened the case for the first time.... I noticed a red LED just below the first 4 rows of ram and just to the left right above the power button. I had never seen this LED before when the machine was completely assembled and I never used the power button on the machine ( used the one on the monitor) so, it could have always been on and I didn't notice it. I assume it's just a pwer indicator ???? anyone ??

so, with all this said, does it still appear to be the HD ? (I don't have any spares that for this machine)....

HELP !!!!!!!

Locate a bootable external drive hook it up give it a shot. You've bee through the ringer.

You have 2 red led's are on the mobo right now?

If you cannot get a chime when a good stick of RAM is installed then there is a problem that a hard drive won't resolve.
    Last edited by Damien; 09-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Yeah....I would expect at this point that something else is going on, and it is not good.

G5s can have logic board and CPU failures. I had one years ago, and having ruled everything else out......I pulled and reseated the CPUs. Nothing to lose, right? So i started re-seating everything. Pulling and reseating the CPUs did the trick. Worth considering?