Thread: Converting Appleworks files for Numbers and Pages programs

Default Converting Appleworks files for Numbers and Pages programs

Since Lion and Mountain Lion no longer have an emulation program like Rosetta to run Appleworks, I need to find out how I'm going to be able to convert my Appleworks business files (spreadsheet and mailing labels) to open in Numbers and Pages.
    I'm currently using a 51/2 year old Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and want to upgrade to a new Mac Pro this year.
    Is there a Snow Leopard compatible program that will let me do this? Or a Mountain Lion program to make the conversion?

Thanks in advance
    John

That is a great question. I never was able to transition my older files. Look forward to hearing how to accomplish this!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I thought it was doable......but it has been too long for me to remember.

The one part that was a pain was if you had an Appleworks database. I thought spreadsheets and documents were pretty easy. No?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I am pretty sure that Pages & Numbers would do all that for you. The trick is that you have to open the program and then the files from with in the program, then save it as Pages file. It works in Pages for sure, Numbers I've never used, but I would bet that it would work.

I still find old AppleWorks documents on an old drive... both in spreadsheets and word processing formats. I can open old word processing documents with my 10.8.4 MountainLion using Pages just fine but can't open a spreadsheet with Numbers 08'

As I remember... I just switched over and rebuilt most things. I liked the fact too that Pages/Numbers plays with Word/Excel good and for me was a need.

I had the same experience. All my spreadsheets, that were made up for things like Ski Patrol calendars or Little League schedule would not open at all. I ended up just rebuilding them anew.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for all your replies.

I'll print out all my spreadsheet Appleworks files before I switch over to Mountain Lion. Then create a new spreadsheet template in Numbers when I'm using Mountain Lion. I'm glad to hear that my Appleworks Word processing files will open in Pages.
    Will Numbers or Pages create a new mailing label file that I can print using Avery label pages?

John

If you have the Application "Keynote" it can or might open a spreadsheet and PowerPoint files. PowerPoint documents sent to me open with some app. My iLife applications Pages/Numbers and the now iLife 10, iWork 08' are older. The newer I'm sure will do more .. or at least bell's, whistle's and eye candy.

I am not sure which one but I've setup envelopes with Pages I think. I remember seeing labels and can't believe it's not in there software but I've never used it.

Here is Apple's software you'll want or need. http://www.apple.com/iwork/