Thread: Clean Installing MAC 10.8

Default Clean Installing MAC 10.8

Hi there i am confused about the actual requirements that Macbook / Macbook Pro and Macbook Air require in order to complete a clean install..
    If the MB/MBP/MBA came out with 10.8 pre-installed can i use a bootable USB stick loaded with 10.8.4 to do a clean install?
    Some people have told me that you can only re-install to the same version ie..10.8 for 10.8..and not 10.8 to 10.8.4 etc
    Also why does the Macbook Air and retina displays not allow a clean install from any bootable USB stick?
    Thank you in advance..

I think that first it would be good to know just what model you are talking about here. Anything after 10.8 has it own emergency startup already on the disk. Hold down cmd-R at startup until the Recovery Partition loads. Then choose the "Install OS X" option and follow the prompts. Have your USB drive plugged in, I do believe it will save you time.

Anyone have something I may be clueless about?

Nope, you are correct. And if no recovery partition, it should still reinstall a clean over over the interwebz.

--------

And I am not aware that one cannot install from USB.......do you have more info or specifics?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up

I hope people keep this thread alive; I will be using it learn how to install Mountain Lion onto other drives.

Default Booting from USB Stick 10.8.4

Thanx for the replys..My model is the lastest MB Air 2013..I cleaned the hard drive completely so the cmd-r does no good..My only option is the Internet Recovery which takes for ages to install 3-5hrs..I wanted to boot it with my USB stick loaded with 10.8.4..The MBA came with 10.8.2 though..So will it allow 10.8 or 10.8.4 or just the 10.8.2??
    This internet recovery is just crazy...thanx

I suspect that your USB stick is from another model? Though some installers will work on other Macs, not all. Airs in particular have had custom installers in the past, so not too unexpected.

A retail Image, if there is such a thing anymore.....should work on all Macs built before it, and some after, depending on hardware changes.

So, a retail 10.8.3 should work on your machine, if there is such a beast. I don't keep up with it like I used too. You can make a USB installer from your air so you never have to do the interwebz way again.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Booting from USB Stick 10.8.4

Thanx for the response..As i said mu MBAir's hard drive is wiped clean..I prepared a USB stick 2 times once with 10.8 (downloaded from the Apple store) and once with 10.8.4 (from original DVD Retail)...Neither of them worked..Both times when i booted up using the Option key it showed the USB stick then when i selected it and went ahead i got both times the Grey Circle with a ine through it..Any ideas..Cheers

How did you erase the SSD?

I may be way off here, but I'm not sure you can completely erase the SSD with anything using 10.8. That is unless you hook the MBA via Thunderbolt or USB to another computer and then use a minimum of at least overwriting 0's to erase the SSD. Even then I don't know if Apple set it up to allow a complete eradication of it's recovery partition.

The SSD was erased using Disk Utility..

Did you use DU via your MBA?

Yes i did..

Then the Recovery Partition is still on the SSD.

If you plug in the USB it may take the information from that source, but the only way to know is to try it.

I tried to do something similar with my iMac and had to use Recovery mode.

Good Luck!

thanx for your time..