Thread: My "vintage" Mac G5

Default My "vintage" Mac G5

I have a Power Mac G5, I'm pretty sure it's a dual processor 2GHz.
    I laughed to see that it's considered "vintage"
    I'm running out of disk space every time I am uploading photos so I wanted to get an external drive.
    But I was thinking - is it possible I could put in a second internal HD? How can I find out if I have the space! And would an internal HD be faster than an external connected by USB?

Thanks for help! I've loved my G5 to pieces and I am still kind of holding on to it because it does the few things I need

G5s can take take 2 of any SATA drives.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick!
    Recommendations for drives? While I have been a long time Mac user, I'm not a huge tinkerer! Though I have to say I was pretty proud to have replaced the CD-RW drive on my old G3

Anyway, it's worth it right? I'm not being stupid by hanging onto my vintage mac?

The drives are really unrelated to the computer, they are the storage. The drives can move from computer to computer. So even if you change computers you can take the new drive(s) with you.

You want Seagate. They are awesome.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

and yes internal SATA would be MUCH faster than external USB2 you have on that mac
    Damien,

Thank you!!!
    And I didn't even think about that - that the drive would be portable to a computer I would buy in the future

THANKS! Off to check out the Seagates!!

Default Drives

I've had some TERRIBLE experiences with Western Digital HDDs and I only use or recommend Seagate. Their Barracuda is the BEST internal 3.5" HDD you can buy, hands down.

If your Mac Pro has Firewire, Iomega makes external drives that are FW400 and 800 as well as USB. They cost a little more, but Firewire is faster than USB 2.0

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Pretty sure you will have an empty bay inside your mac for a second HDD. Unless you want an external for other reasons, just adding the HDD inside would be quite a bit cheaper
    Damien,

Here are the steps: G5 Tower HD swap DIY.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Had an 4 core (quad) G5 and it worked great with two internal drives as well as external via FW.
    Never ran out of storage. For speed I used the 10K raptors, which still work in my MacPro.

But but but......this model was liquid cooled, and I worried daily that the radiator will leak. It was PowerPC anyway, and after a few years I sold it on eBay.