Thread: Mac air or MacBook Pro for basic letters, college use

Default Mac air or MacBook Pro for basic letters, college use

A caregiver of mine just said she was switching back to a Mac and was going to get a Mac Air... I said whoow, why not Macbook Pro? In some fast reading a Mac Air is cheaper... where is the biggest differences in these newer models I know squat.

She'll need to have the ability to work with Word. I showed her how I daily open .doc's or Word files edit, add, change, modify and save it as Pages or Word document. She did not know it was possible.

She has a USB Backup drive. She wants the 13" screen and is looking at the Apple refurbished.

Biggest difference is the Air is not very upgradeable, lacks some connectivity, and graphics horsepower. It is also much thinner, and lighter.

Kris' Air has been a good little Mac. No serious issues. My MBP on the other hand is possessed. Thinking of replacing it with a 13" Air myself.

The Air looks a little cheaper and cost is a big one here. She won't need much horsepower.

I'm sure budget is a concern, it always is. If I were buying today, I would get the most RAM and the largest SSD. That's because you can't upgrade so you might want not to have to any time soon.

I'd get this one

but Ii don't need one.

MBAs are great these days...... First couple gen machines were a bit underpowered, but for general computing, can't go wrong.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Decision

Well, she bought a new 13" MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM and an i7 2.9GHZ.

She's a student. So no discounts on a refurb. She decided new. I think she'll be happy.

There is a student discount though.....hope she got it. 10% is nothing to sneeze at.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, she went with a new machine because of the 10% student discount.