Thread: Fusion Drive vs Users on another drive

Question Fusion Drive vs Users on another drive

Hi there,

I thought this question should have already been asked but I got no results in the search.

For the last 6 years, I followed MacGurus advice (install OS on a drive, Users on another).

It's time to upgrade to ML and I was wondering what's the best between this method or create my own Fusion Drive. (MacPro Early 2008)

My drives are:
    Crucial M4 128GB
    WD Black 1TB

I'm aware of the risk of failure of a Fusion Drive but I have backups and backups of backups :-D

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

By create your own fusion drive do you mean raiding the SSD and the WD?

If so all you will do is slow the SSD down to the WD speed

Putting your OS one one drive and your Users on the other can speed things up a bit. Where you put your stuff depends on how you use your Mac. If you work with BIG files you want that SSD to be work space. If you don't then maybe booting from the SSD is the option for you.

I have a 512GB SSD and a 2TB seagate. For my uses booting and having all my stuff on the SSD is the way to go… with one tiny little exception. My iTunes media folder is 600 Gigs. So the Media Folder is on the 2TB and that's all. Everything else is on the SSD.

Booting is about 20 seconds and all apps launch near instantly
    Damien,

Good write up here.

Fusion Drive is great in that it decides what goes where. Best speed gains on the most used files.

Fusion Drive is horrible in that decide what goes where. Where is your stuff? What if one of the two drives fails? What did you lose? Part of the OS, part of your data.....only Fusion knows?

Awesome stuff, until it isn't. Will make troubleshooting, backup, restore, and reliability all more complex, and more opaque.

Personally, I (at the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon) don't like running any sort of RAID unless I have to, and am fully prepared for disaster to strike in the form of a busted drive, volume, directory, or anything else. And lets not kid ourselves, or drink too much of the Apple Juice.....FD is a RAID configuration, a "smart" RAID 0 (stripe) if you think about it.

So, even though I love SSDs, I have never set up FD, as I like my stuff separated out into neat little boxes.....and where I left it.
    Last edited by unclemac; 08-10-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you for your replies.

I think I will follow your advice. I will keep my dual drives and move Users to second drive.

The only other things I will add:

- FD (or any RAID) = even greater need of automated backups. Failure will be more catastrophic....or so I fear.

- FD may be a bridge technology that is fairly short lived. If (big if right now...) solid state storage has a break through or two, we could see sizes go up and prices come down to the point that there is no need for FD other hybrid schemes.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I think Damien had a good point. Raiding the SSD and the WD will slow down the SSD and will show effect of fusion.