Thread: Scary...

Default Scary...

I did a reboot this morning after installing some stuff, and just to get a "fresh" start.
    For some reason my Mini took about four minutes to get past the grey Apple screen and when it finally got to the log in page, I had no keyboard or mouse.
    I rebooted again and still no KB or mouse.
    I finally unplugged ALL of my USB devices - Keyboard,Mouse, DVD-RW Drive and external HDD. I plugged the KB and mouse back in and suddenly they worked.
    What was odd was that even though nothing appeared in the password box while the KB was not functioning, once it "came back" there was a full line of "*******************************" in the box as if the input was being sent but not shown, but if the password would input... I can't understand why the "Return" wouldn't register and log me in.
    Anyway, another two reboots and I discovered the culprit was my new ThermalTake "Toaster" HDD Dock. Apparently it had something "frozen" up with it, and it killed everything USB on the reboot. I think it wouldn't pass the hardware check.
    Lesson: From now on, eject the external HDD and shut the dock down BEFORE rebooting.

Default USB and SD problem

The USB problem was still with me this morning and... the SD card slot quit reading.
    I contacted Apple support and they said, "Zap the PRAM". So I did. It solved it. I can reboot in 30 seconds, and all the USB ports and SD reader are working again.

On the upside, I got another 22" monitor and hooked it up to the Tbird port using a Mini Display to VGA adapter. It's good to have two big wide monitors again.

Nice. We see less and less of this sort of issue........but computers are still computers it appears.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Less and less

I was totally shocked to see it on a 9 week old MacMini myself.
    I honestly haven't had to "zap" PRAM since I had my old "Graphite" G3.
    Nice to know it still works.