Thread: iMac 2010 startup problem

Default iMac 2010 startup problem

Hi Guys,
    Here's one that I haven't come across before:
    2010 27" i5 iMac, 2.8ghz, ATi Radeon 5750 installed.
    Will boot as far as the Apple logo, turning 'clock' completes as normal but instead of continuing and bringing up the cursor it sits there with just the Apple logo.

I've done ALL of the usual stuff, PRAM, SMC etc including disconnecting the hard drive and booting from an external and this leaves me with one of two conclusions:
    1. The graphics card has a problem ... it will start in Safe Boot all the way to the desktop, where it is customarily slow on graphics and has no sound.
    2. The logic board has a problem.

My dilemma is that I don't have either to swap and they are stupid money to buy one and find it doesn't solve the problem.

Any other suggestions fellas?
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Tuff call.

Have you swapped RAM, just to rule it out?

Tried a different OS? There are a few, select, specific 24" iMacs I have run across that simply will not run newer OSes right....graphic driver issue most likely. I wanna say it was a 2009 model though....

I can dig up more info later if you like.

Can you boot to a clean install of the OS that it came with?

A pain I know, but all that comes to mind beyond your suspicions about hardware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It WAS the graphics card.
    I had done everything that you suggested already: different drives and OS, started with 12gb ram, reduced to 8 then 4.
    What I then did was to use a graphics card from a 2011 iMac that I happened to have here, swapped the support brackets over and tried that... it worked.
    Worth knowing that as long as the card fits the slot it will most likely work with different incarnations of the iMac.
    Customer delighted and it saved me from trying to find something that works at an affordable price.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

NIce. Love to hear the mystery solved, and a happy customer to boot!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Although the cards were from different iMacs and were a physically different size - the 1gb from 2010 was longer than the 512mb 2011 - it was clear that it was going to fit if I swapped the support brackets over.
    I had recently done a similar thing with a couple of Mac Pros, which, unlike G5s, seem to be quite happy to use more or less whatever graphics card will fit.
    Apple seemingly have stopped making it hard work finding cards that work in different Macs.

Agreed. Not easy......but easier, and that is a great thing.