Thread: Need SOUND advice

Question Need SOUND advice

I have been recording the sermons at church on cassette tapes since 1990. I have been transferring them to CD using audacity on my macbook or iMac. Blank cassettes are difficult to find. Is there a way use my macbook to capture the sound from the church analog peavey amp? I have been transferring the cassette with "Cassette to USB converter I purchased when I was using my iMac G4. Is garageband an option? When I look at most of the blogs on recording to MacBook, most discuss using guitar amps to play from the computer as a sound source. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not a "sound guy" just ask my wife There must be something out there as there is so may speakers and yes microphones, I'm sure I've seem more elsewhere. Maybe the Apple Store. That with Garageband you should be doing well. But wait there's more if you have an iPad too, a usb board too.

I think that that Apple is still under sold. What a great product line that are proven with a great track record. Also I don't know if you've noticed. They are all over TV screens, look all the machines, most, are Apples. If the business software people would catch up . . . . Where do those neuroscientists get the software to do what they do? Does someone write that?

Good luck with your adventure!
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 08-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Does your amp have a line out or headphone out? those would plug into the Mac line in/mic

your cassette deck should have output and cassette out is the same as line out so that would plug into Mac line in/mic as well
    Damien,

The church PA should have a line out. All you need is a cable to go from that to the MacBook's input, and an app to record. GarageBand will work, but for what you're doing I'd look for something simpler.

Default Sound advice

Since 2002, I've used Ambrosia's Wiretap (now Wiretap Studio)
    It's $69, but with all it can do (it can literally record ANY sound your mac can produce, be it from an input or an app - it can automatically drop "dead air", and there are loads of saving options) it's worth it. You'll need a 1/8 stereo plug to your Audio in, or an external mic, but from there it's as easy as clicking "record".