Thread: confoozled?!@#?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default confoozled?!@#?

I have a Mac Mini Core i7 2.7ghz which by all accounts should be a dual core single chip processor.

Activity Monitor shows 4 cores….

This Mac was special ordered by someone who never picked it up. I bought it from Mac Experience.

am I haaloosinatin' ?
    Damien,

This MacBook Pro i7 2.8 shows the same: 1 processor with 4 cores.

Hyper Threading.....

Details: This model is powered by a 32 nm, 64-bit Intel Mobile Core i7 "Sandy Bridge" (I7-2620M) processor which includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip. Each core has a dedicated 256k level 2 cache, shares 4 MB of level 3 cache, and has an integrated memory controller (dual channel).

This system also supports "Turbo Boost 2.0" -- which "automatically increases the speed of the active cores" to improve performance when needed (up to 3.4 GHz for this model) -- and "Hyper Threading" -- which allows the system to recognize four "virtual cores" or "threads."
    Most useful for virtualization as I recall.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

heh.. learn something new every day

I knew about the turboboost but not about the virtual cores

It's good to know I have all this power behind me when I do REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED… err I mean when I listen to music and aimlessly surf the net
    Damien,

Default Cores

Core i5 and Core i7, are "quad core" AFAIK. Be they actual or virtual, everything I have for process monitoring shows four distinct cores processing data on my Core i5 mini.
    I heard some delicious rumors about the new Mac Pro having three quad core processors for a total of 12 2.6gHz processor cores. With up to 64 Gb of RAM, you could probably change your mind with it.
    It's a long way from my first PPC 350mHz G3 iMac with 384mb

Quote Originally Posted by MMOnline View Post
    It's a long way from my first PPC 350mHz G3 iMac with 384mb
    The first Mac I worked on (at a job I had) Was a Mac Classic 8mhz 68000 processor. It was so much easier to use than the PC's I was also forced to use that my first Computer purchase was a Mac Performa 5200 603PPC processor at a whopping 75mhz!
    Damien,

I don't remember my first Mac or it's model for sure but remember thinking my first and only Performa and not sure which one but it seemed so advanced compared to the older/other Mac I had.

Mine was a Mac Classic from '90. 8 Mhz, 40MB hard drive. Still have it...still runs, last time I fired it up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Oh this is great fun. OK my first purchase was a Mac 512Ke, it was a refurbished one from Apple, someone knew a friend at the factory for me to get it. Most of the early models had ran at 8 MHz 68000 CPU's. The 512Ke came with the amazing amount of RAM- 512 KB and the dual sided floppies for 800k. The 20MB hard drive was $600.

But the first one I worked on was the Mac 512K, start up on 400k floppies and then have an external 400k floppy drive for a whooping 800k. One disk for the OS and software the other for your work. Sometimes you would have to just sit there swapping floppies so the machine could accomplish it's task. You could fiddle with the whole system configuration.

Ah those were the days, but I really like my current one the best!

I don't ever remember having the Mac screen. I had to have bought my first about 1989 - 92. I remember getting a 250MB external HD and thought I had the computer. I remember the floppies.

I had an LC but not sure which one. I think LC II
    The Performa was a 5xxx series
    A 7200 .... that's when I met this Guru's forum pages. I was mad I could not up grade it. With Guru's help I bought 2 used 7500's and put the best parts into one and added an XLR8 G3/400MHz then a 10K Cheetah it seemed to scream - fast. Then bought a G4 Quicksilver later updated to Dual 1.6GHz Giga, then a C2D iMac and now my Quad core i5 iMac 21.5".

I wished I'd of kept an older one around in good working condition. I've given away most my extra's to people that needed them. I've got an entire commodore with floppy disks but it's in an unsealed dusty box.. in my dusty garage. I'm sure disks are shot but the computer might run.

It's been fun.

I have 2 old ones I keep just in case….

a PowerMac 8500 with a g3 card either a 233 or a 350 I don't remember. U2W scsi card/drive

and a Blue and White with a G4 500 in it 15k Cheetah in this one
    Damien,

1st Mac was a Quadra 950 rescued from a dumpster. Never could get it to boot from a hard drive until after I got a IIci with a 040 accelerator card, and discovered the 950 had a bad SCSI cable.

Good times.

Don't have any 68K machines anymore, but I do have a couple beige PPCs. Haven't fired 'em up for a while. I should probably do that just to see if they still work.

So do I confess I also have and SE30 & Mac IIci. It must be a sickness, but I can't seem to help myself. The SE30 has a dead drive inside, no worries I have 2 Syquest Removable drives, a boot and a backup. I even have the Iici setup and actually run it sometimes. Yea, really. Maybe I should see a shrink.

Talking

Interesting discussion.
    I have LCIII sitting in basement, but the G3 desktop (not tower), souped up and updgraded, still works great; I use it now for the old, old......very old software, and it hums just fine. Even the newer printers respond to it.
    But this G3 with OS9.1, as well as the older machines you guys mentioned, must have a problem: aren't the browsers just too old to work on internet? on any website?

When I tell my Windows addicted kids that this 16 year old machine runs good and I use it, they look at me as if I just came from a shrink.

I have an SE 30 in my office right now as a decorating item. Still in the inventory database as "in use"

Booted the SE 30 the other day.....flashing ?.

Doh! Where are the System 6 floppies????

At least you know it powers up. I know you can get disk images of system 6 online, but where do you get floppies?

I don't know about yours, buy my SE30 has a HD in it. Except that the HD is dead. I've bought a couple of Syquest EZ 135 removable drives about 8 years ago on ebay. The sound of the floppy being ejected still etched in my brain. I can remember having them spit out and you put in the other one and then it spits it out and asked for the first one and on and on.

Floppies, I'm not sure just one will get it more than just up and running. I bet I have some around somewhere. Maybe I could make a OS6 set for you.

Wonder if the monitor has lost it's zapping ability yet, been sitting in the closet for several years. I could take that spare SCSI drive and put it in there. Never had one of those grounding things so I didn't open it up to change the drive.

Ha....no worries. Thanks for the offer, but bigger fish to fry.

I think my old boss still has the tool to take these suckers apart, so at some point, I might pull the SCSI HD (I am assuming there is one...and it has failed) and replace.