Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Powermac g4 QS no chime or boot, tried a lot

Completely true, well actually there are a few G4's for sale in my region, the problem is my parents preventing me from spending money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by computer1_up View Post
    So a while ago I measured the voltages of the whole PSU, all were perfectly fine. So I don't really think it's the PSU, as it still powers on.
    Like Rick said, swapping parts is the next thing. Having tested the PSU is great, and if you are confident, then that really leaves the SMU/PMU board towards the front of the machine, and the logic board as the most likely main parts….outside of RAM and possibly video card (no other PCI cards, right?)
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just because it "has" booted and works does not elimite the PSU or any hardware... Hardware issues can often have a slow die off period of working sometimes, others times not... it will usually worsen as time goes by.

Completely true, well actually there are a few G4's for sale in my region, the problem is my parents preventing me from spending money on it.
    Around here they can sometimes be had for free, due to age and lack of value by many. Keep your eyes open….any electronic recyclers, or donation store (Good Will around here….) that might have old stuff for free or very low cost?

There is a local Apple reseller here that takes in trade-ins and old machines to recycle. A chat with them would likely produce some old Macs they want to part with. Anybody in your area that might do the same?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I will see if I can get some replacement parts.

By the way, what is the best homemade tool to take the pins out of an ATX PSU connector? I had some things to do it, but they were all to big.

Finally had a succesful attempt to take out the pins, it would do with two needles, and a good instruction. So, the first PSU didn't have all the wires it needed, but now I at least know how to pull the connectors.

Isn't that irritating, when the only Apple shop in your region doesn't respond to your mail? Well, here they did. So there are a few other stores around that do sell Apple stuff next to ordinary stuff, but I don't think they would sell that specific part I need. And besides that, where they actually sell old hardware, it's 98% Windows, and even IF they sell Apple, the question still remains, is it the right part, and isn't it overpriced?

It's unfortunate that there aren't a lot of apple users where I live and even those who do use Apple are out of my reach.

So, I've got lying around some PSU's here from old Windows machines, but obviously, they need the pinouts changed. The only one I managed to do this with, hasn't got all the required pins. I'm trying with two bent staples, but even with them being the thinnest I got, I can't get the pins out of the other PSU's. Anybody suggestions on that?

Somebody? Anybody?

Hope this HELP may not be too late.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my QuickSilver 2002 where I did something stupid and BAM it stopped working the next time it fired up ( or NOT fired up ).

This advice came from a for real AppleTechGuy @ no charge. Can you believe that, no charge from Apple.

Unplug the computer and let it sit overnight.

Any "unusual" cards or accessories that could be should be removed/disconnected ? Unplug any external FireWire or USB drives.

If possible try a different keyboard.

Be sure all of the cables are well seated.

That brought my PowerMac G4/QuickSilver back to life.

Hope this solves it for you also.
    Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings
    http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK