Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powermac g4 QS no chime or boot, tried a lot

Default Powermac g4 QS no chime or boot, tried a lot

Like a year ago, I've picked up a Powermac G4 QuickSilver for free, which was completely working.
    After a little time, I wanted to upgrade the RAM to perform a Leopard install, and because I still had it lying around here.
    Appearantly it was wrong RAM, it came out of a Windows PC, but I thought it wouldn't really matter. Since then the machine stopped functioning properly. It powered on, but wouldn't boot nor chime. Replaced the original RAM, still nothing.
    So, I've tried resetting the PRAM/PMU, tried the voodoo fix, tried another battery (at least, I've tried connecting up 3 rechargeable 1,2v batteries and hooking that up to the Powermac), Reseated the CPU with new heat paste, and possibly other things I've forgotten right now.

What I don't know is if anything's broken. And I don't want to buy new parts before I know if something died.

I've heard of a Open Firmware reset, but since I get no video output, no chime, no boot or harddrive spinning up, I don't know if I will be able to do this.

Somebody? Anybody?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

motherboard reset button?

just had to do that on a G4 last week
    Damien,

Motherboard reset button, that thing is the CUDA switch right? The one where you reset the PRAM with? Yes, tried that a lot of times.

Zap the PRAM. On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and keep holding them for about 3-4 more "bongs/chimes".

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

Don't do PMU or CUDA resets over and over again, it is really hard on the motherboard. Potentially permanent.

Do try the Open Firmware reset. Just holding the Command+Option+O+F keys and seeing if it takes you to the OPen Firmware window tells you a lot.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Don't do PMU or CUDA resets over and over again, it is really hard on the motherboard. Potentially permanent.
    That is true... very tough on the machine.

Negative, can't get into both of them. It's just like the machine powers up, but then does nothing. No video on the screen, no bongs as I tried command - option - p - r. Even the OF reset didn't come up. I think I'm a bit screwed....

Default No chime no boot

I had a G3 iMac that went through something just like this. The power button would light up when pushed, but nothing else.

It turned out to be a $0.50 MOSFET in the Switching Power Supply. I was unsuccessful in replacing the part (they only sell them in bulk and I didn't need $1000 worth of them) so I got a used Power Supply from a local Mac shop.

The battery or would that make a difference. PRAM zaps the battery fast.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

take everything out of it.. PCI, video cards, disconnect HD's, keyboard and moose, remove ram and battery remove power cord then press the power button wait a sec then replace power cord only and press power button. Do you get any beeps and what are they (one or more? long or short?)

if you get the proper beeps then replace the ram, battery, boot drive and video card (&monitor) only. try to boot again.. if it boots then attach the keyboard and moose

If you don't get the proper beeps then something major is wrong with the motherboard, cpu or power supply

someone around here knows how what beeps you should hear..
    Damien,

In that case, I can be pretty sure something in the system is fried...
    Or a miracle has to happen...

Did you try D's suggestion? Any beeps?

If not beeps, then yes, serious hardware issue, something cooked/dead....RAM slots, PS, LB, etc.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes I tried that, but no beeps... What a shame, those Mac's aren't for sale in my region so much, and if they are, they're too expensive. Damnit!

Very long time bump!

I still haven't got the machine running, right now I'm suspecting a dead contact somewhere. With that in mind, I've done some PSU cabling tests which contain moving the cables continiously to see if anything changes.
    So, I noticed that when moving the 4pin power connector with two yellow and two ground, for the cpu, that it would turn off on random moments. A couple of minutes ago I started doing that when the whole machine was completely cold, just had the logic board dismounted to check for any visual problems, but there aren't any. So, mounted it back in, connected things and it would just do it once in a couple of tries. It's not the kind of progress I hoped for, but it's better than nothing.

My next question is - where are you located?

I have a Quicksilver that last I messed with it I replaced the logic board and it still had some funky graphics problem on boot. It also has a dual 1.2 GHz G4 upgrade in it. If you want it, it costs shipping. It's in Idaho, so might not be worth it
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Indeed unfortunately. From the USA to the Netherlands isn't really possible for me, but thanks anyway.

Even more bumping!

The Powermac still has exactly the same problem. Although, if I play a little with the wiring from the PSU, the Mac will eventually turn off. This is completely random though and most of the time it doesn't.
    In my whole adventure with the machine I had it bong once or twice, completely out of nowhere. So I think there's still some life left in the machine, just to get it out now.

Sounds like you will have to scrounge up a PSU, or possibly a ATX conversion....here is some PSU info if you are up for a project.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

So a while ago I measured the voltages of the whole PSU, all were perfectly fine. So I don't really think it's the PSU, as it still powers on.

Literally anything can stop a boot. And the only realistic chance of finding it is either removing everything possible and trying boot to see if it behaves as expected, or swapping in parts. Swapping in a bunch, or maybe even any parts, doesn't sound like a reasonable way to fix an old computer based on your location.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin